Discuss Logic of blue badge parking in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Can some one explain why a car displaying a blue badge is allowed to park on double yellow lines, but one not displaying one can't? Surely the idea of double yellow lines is to avoid congestion, but if a car with a disabled badge doesn't cause an obstruction why does a car without a badge do so?

Cus whe
Can some one explain why a car displaying a blue badge is allowed to park on double yellow lines, but one not displaying one can't? Surely the idea of double yellow lines is to avoid congestion, but if a car with a disabled badge doesn't cause an obstruction why does a car without a badge do so?

The blue badge gets in the way

Rights and responsibilities of Blue Badge holders | nidirect - https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/rights-and-responsibilities-blue-badge-holders

Its basically a small concession on traffic to allow disabled to have a reasonable chance of making it to their destination.
What makes me laugh is the insistence of local planning insisting on a shed load of disabled bays in private car parks, like stores and supermarkets and the other end of government making blue badges only available to ones that have a recognised disability according to their own assessments which they have stepped up when re-assessing and making loads of disabled people suddenly well again, end result, no blue badge drivers/passengers to fill the bays that have been created.

blue badge holders can still get ticketed if they are causing obstructions as you mentioned
Having said all that, if you or a family member is in need of a badge, you will realise how lucky you are to be able to walk the extra distance. Being able to park just about anywhere because it's necessary to physically be able to do your business is no consolation!

I'm not knocking genuine blue badge holders, but if there is double yellow line and two cars park on it, one with a badge, one without, if they cause an obstruction they both get a ticket. If there is no obstruction the one without a badge gets a ticket,bthe badge holder doesn't. Why? Neither car is causing an obstruction, if there was a notice saying blue badge holders only,bthen fair enough.

I'm not knocking genuine blue badge holders, but if there is double yellow line and two cars park on it, one with a badge, one without, if they cause an obstruction they both get a ticket. If there is no obstruction the one without a badge gets a ticket,bthe badge holder doesn't. Why? Neither car is causing an obstruction, if there was a notice saying blue badge holders only,bthen fair enough.
Double yellow are not just there to prevent obstructions ie traffic physically can't get through.
They can also be there to help traffic flow, improve visibility and improve the street environment. Think of it this way, it's somewhere it's better overall if people don't park, but if you have no alternative we can collectively agree it's ok to take the hit.

The disabled bays are in car parks for a reason, what boils my pee is when some lazy able bodied c**t parks there to save them walking to the shop. Also see quite a lot a blue badge holder not being present in the vehicle and the able bodied user using it for their own convenience.

Also see quite a lot a blue badge holder not being present in the vehicle and the able bodied user using it for their own convenience.

I do that all the time, I consider it a (very minor) perk of being a carer!
The disabled person who has the badge is in the vehicle at the time, otherwise, I go to normal spaces.

Reply to Logic of blue badge parking in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net