Discuss Long cable run installation physical methods and timescales in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Y

Yooj

Hi, looking for a bit of advice with regards to calculating costs and timescales for installing large runs - 300 mtr+ of multi-core cabling. To get an idea, the weight of the cable drum would be in the region of 450kgs.

The cable will be run over cable tray.

What I am asking is to get an idea of how many people (and/or machines etc) will be required to pull in these cables, and an idea of how long you would estimate it would take.

My feeling is it would take around 6 people around 1/2 a day to get the cable pulled in and secured on the tray-work.

What does everyone think?

Cheers
Yooj

You will need a set of cable jacks.
Some rollers to ease round bends etc.
A cable sock as it is the best way of attaching a line to the cable.
An electric winch would also be handy.

All this gear can be hired if it is a one of job.

Have a look here it has all the gear to make the job easy.

Last edited:
It really depends on the run and the diameter and flexibility of cable.
What height is the tray at?
What is the access like?
How many bends?
What equipment will you be using?

Last edited:
There's the rub...no detailed design available yet from the main contractor, and as such I have absolutely zero detail, and thus I want to get a feel for what other folks think from experience and caveat my budgetary (very budgetary) proposal based upon the little I know.

All I know is literally: cable spec, length and it is going on cable tray.

Yooj

Ok i will give you a scenario.

Tray at workable height ie below 3M with maximum of 4 bends and good access.

Set up of Jacks, winch and rollers 1 hour.

Pulling cable through 3 - 4 hours.

Removal of rollers etc. 1 hour.

Fixing of cable to tray 2 hours.

So about 8 hours for a 3 man team using the correct gear.

Consider the number of vertical runs you have, they will add to the time and manpower.
On one of my first construction projects the drawing office had issued a cable schedule to the cabling contractors stating run lengths etc. The contractors didn’t seem to grasp the fact that the runs went through an existing plant to a new plant that was over 100’ high. All I can say is I felt sorry for the gang that showed up on site.

Reply to Long cable run installation physical methods and timescales in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net