Discuss Long cable to electric car - amps and gauge advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok...So a rented property and crossing a track ... Your first call is to the landlord Of the house and then to the owner of the track .... A wayleave springs too mind

Good luck with that
One and the same and have written approval from the agent. Yes, could be more watertight

The 13A socket and cable plug would be connected in a waterproof designed for purpose lockable box next to the car on the drive so no-one will have access. At this end there would be about as much danger as one of those public or even domestic charging stations that get rained on all the time. The pro electrician was even recommending one of those splash proof sockets on the one gang. I believe the box would be safer.
What IP rating would that be ?

If you'd like to read up on vehicle charging it's in BS7671, section 722 and then the IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation. And for temporary outdoor power it's BS7909.

Can I ask what make of electric vehicle you've got?

If you'd like to read up on vehicle charging it's in BS7671, section 722 and then the IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation. And for temporary outdoor power it's BS7909.

Can I ask what make of electric vehicle you've got?
Thanks, will do. It's a prius phev 2012 version

you could always convert it to run on hydrogen cells. by the time you've don the work, dyson will be selling them.:D

I would check up on your/landlords insurance,as if public have access (if postman has-it is a yes) then you may be better purchasing one of my mobile fox-powered-wheel generators :)

I know you are right in safety theory but in practice 5 of my neighbours run their mower extension cables across the road regularly in the day with 5-6 cars per hour running over them. No deaths or knackered cables yet although yes, it could be the UK's least safe street. I in contrast have been looking at a low rubber ramp that the cable sits in that the makers allege is for that purpose

YET.
There are limits to the code of practice regarding extensions.
Your proposed method is irresponsible and dangerous , just say your cable was to snag on a car and bare the cable and not blow the CPD , where would that leave the occupants that try to remove it , or anyone picking up the bare ends.

Whilst charging an electric vehicle off a 25m extension cable may work ?
BUT -
Running extention cables across a driveway or road way is just plain STUPID !
no electrician would ever approve such a method !
You need to find a better method ?
:eek:

Reply to Long cable to electric car - amps and gauge advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net