Discuss Long throw flood light suggestions wanted please :) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to install some lighting to throw over around a 50m horizontal distance off the side of the nearest building (about 2m high). This is mainly to create ambient light on the path that far away, as they can't afford to run armour over and install poles.

Any suggestions from anyone? My concern is that any usual flood tends to be wide angle and short distance rather than narrow angle and long distance. Also power wise if I go up to say 400W MH or similar is this going to get blinding as you get close to it, as it will be shining horizontally in your face rather than from above?

This is a strange installation for me so any advice would be much appreciated :)

Cheers guys

Why only 2m high on the building can you not use some wall mounted poles to get some height or a lamp post close to the building, without some increase in mounting height as you say the lighting is going to be blinding bright if you look back at the building also getting the spread / coverage you need may need more fittings than the job really needs

Without knowing the clients budget and the size and layout of the area to be lit it is a little difficult to come up with ideas to provide the best solution

Could use a pole if necessary, just circuit already in place for on the wall but that's no big deal. I've just hopped in the helicopter with my camera so you can see the layout - area in need of light circled and nearest line of site to a building also marked.

Could look at using the other building to the right but all the trees will cause a problem so might need a combination of both. Budget for 2 lights top end about £500 I would guess so nothing fancy or they might as well pay to trench an armour over there and put a pole up.

Attachments

• Long throw flood light suggestions wanted please :) playground - EletriciansForums.net
    playground.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 47
Install solar powered PIR operated LED floodlights along the path, no need for a power supply and you can position them for maximum effect.
Other than that you would probably be better powering from the small building to the left in the picture if that has power because at least you would approach the main building out of a direct line with the light.

Is your customer having a laugh don't think £500 is going to be enough to sort this

I suggest using the building on the right for the supply install a pole next to the path with two floods on and feed it via an overhead catenary if the distance is not to great

Install solar powered PIR operated LED floodlights along the path, no need for a power supply and you can position them for maximum effect.
Other than that you would probably be better powering from the small building to the left in the picture if that has power because at least you would approach the main building out of a direct line with the light.

They look really interesting, and 2 back to back on a pole would probably meet their needs. Do you have experience with them? 10-20 activations nightly is probably a bit unrealistic and I could see them complaining once the battery was dead. Also during winter some days it might not get enough light to charge.

Is your customer having a laugh don't think £500 is going to be enough to sort this

I suggest using the building on the right for the supply install a pole next to the path with two floods on and feed it via an overhead catenary if the distance is not to great

That's exactly what I've already quoted for, but it came in too expensive for them so they wanted to look at options of lighting from the other buildings to save all the messing about with a trench, running armour etc. I suppose the nicer finish would be a few small posts run down one side, fed from the building to the right but that would be more money again.

I think from the suggestions so far it's looking unlikely I'll find something to light from the buildings to the left and throw that distance? Might just give them the option of lights on the building to the right and tell them to cut the trees down if they don't want to pay for posts putting in

That's exactly what I've already quoted for, but it came in too expensive for them so they wanted to look at options of lighting from the other buildings to save all the messing about with a trench, running armour etc. I suppose the nicer finish would be a few small posts run down one side, fed from the building to the right but that would be more money again.

As my earlier post can you not use a catenary to the pole? rather than trenching

As my earlier post can you not use a catenary to the pole? rather than trenching

My concern would be it running through the trees, for when the guys turn up with chainsaws each summer.

It could be run along a fence underneath the trees, then I could fit a pole to run it up and across a catenary from the top of that, but not really sure if that would be any less messing. I'm back there soon so prob best to forget the idea of installing something miles away and look at other options for putting it in where the light's actually needed.

Cheers!

Tell the clients to save up there money and do the installation correctly or forget about it!! At the moment, it's all wishful thinking on a shoestring, that WON'T work!! lol!!!

They look really interesting, and 2 back to back on a pole would probably meet their needs. Do you have experience with them? 10-20 activations nightly is probably a bit unrealistic and I could see them complaining once the battery was dead. Also during winter some days it might not get enough light to charge.
If have only installed one type in a domestic situation requiring much less light. The light would essentially be a torch, how long will they last on a battery? about one hour. The only other option would be to custom install separate panel, battery and light which would work quite well but the customer does not want to spend the money. You are, as E54 says, looking at a limited install with less effect or doing it right for more money.
This is a cheap and less effective option and if this is explained at the time then complaints can be thrown back.

Reply to Long throw flood light suggestions wanted please :) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock