Discuss Look what the supply company buried in my garden! (The result of years of argument - don't give up!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
Joints.jpg I have for years been trying to get my existing split-phase supply upgraded to three phase. The DNO sent me a succession of ridiculous quotes, all around the £25K mark.

No amount of negotiation, or pointing out that the existing transformer - which supplies only three houses - was ancient, had any effect: they were intransigent. Pay up or shut up.

Then I discovered that the wayleave for two spans of overhead HV lines over my garden, signed fifty years ago by a previous owner, was no longer valid. In the 20 years I’ve been here, I’d never received any payment for the three poles and two spans – it turned out the wayleave had never been transferred. When I suggested they might like to remove or underground these cables, I received more intransigence and further huge quotations.

So, after a bit of internet research, I served on them a six-month ‘Notice to remove’. They in return issued a ‘Necessary Wayleave’ application, held in abeyance to allow for statutory negotiations.

I pointed out that I would be delighted to attend a Necessary Wayleave hearing. It would be entertaining to hear a company which made a billion pounds last year argue that they were unable to remove bare HV cables which cross a domestic garden where children play, because they couldn’t afford it.

I’m posting this story as it may help others locked in argument with their supplier. The upshot is that if you resist all the threats, bull, and huge quotations – effectively act as completely intransigent **** yourself – the power company will eventually back down.

The threatened court hearing never happened. What did happen is that the two spans were quietly undergrounded, and a brand-new three phase transformer installed, all at no charge.

I have no beef with the contractors – they were all very professional and did a neat job.

But the negotiators appear to follow a set routine – effectively trying it on in stages, to see what they can get away with.
Transformer.jpg

One up to the little man - well done cash-and-dash. I was hoping for pirate treasure but that's next best thing!

It is a rare triumph,and most haven't the stomach or patience,so my regards to you.

The pen can be mightier than the sword...even if was an old pen.

Covenants,wayleaves and easements are important legal items,and should be rightfully defended.

Much the same as the legal contract we enter into,when we agree to accept the terms and services of a utility provider...you can imagine their joy if one woke up and jacked that notion...

Reply to Look what the supply company buried in my garden! (The result of years of argument - don't give up!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net