Discuss Looking cool back in the day, for the older guys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Back in the days before poncy tool belts and work trousers with more ockets than there were trousers, many Sparkies including me would stick one handle of a pair of pliers or side cutters in the back pocket of our Levi 501s. Looked the Dogs doobries I can tell you, made you stand out on site as an Electrician, trouble was when you went to the boozer after work, if you weren't careful you could, or possibly do yourself a mischief when you tried to sit down. Where do you store your hand tools when they are not needed all the time, and please don't say in my posh tool bag that cost more than all your tool put together.

As I read that post @Pete999 the music for the first 501 advert with nick camen was playing - remember the launderette advert - that's you that is!

As I was 'bench bound' when I started electrical tool mechanic at age 18, my tools lived in my Sykes pickavent 'snapon' lookalike tool box. When I went out on site it was a blue cantilever.

I changed in to a boiler suit and had a cantilevered blue tool box, was a bugger lugging that up 6 flights of stairs before they attached the cage lift to the outside of the building.

Pete weren't you still working with gas lighting then?

In my overpriced, over engineered tool bag which is sat next to my spare pair of over pocketed work trousers.. My dad has an old pair of 501's that he uses to clean the windows.

Steadfast screwdriver in one hand (electricians one with black insulation on shaft) sidecutters in the other and penknife in pocket. As pete says, the one that wasn't being used was in the back pocket. That's all was needed for a second fix back in the 60s. Occasionally may have get the battery and bell out if the bang test failed.

Eeeewww! Bad Telectrix - back in your basket!
How Bianco by the by?
she's great. loads of fun, but totally mischievous, keeps digging holes in garden, picks up anything she can, thinking it's a chew toy. drives 'er indoors mad. can't think of any bad points. :D

If I'm not mistaken Chris, that was what the 'rockers' were wearing )and using) in the movie Quadrophenia!
Steadfast screwdriver in one hand (electricians one with black insulation on shaft) sidecutters in the other and penknife in pocket. As pete says, the one that wasn't being used was in the back pocket. That's all was needed for a second fix back in the 60s. Occasionally may have get the battery and bell out if the bang test failed.

I have only been in the game 7 years but my first 2 weeks i wore a old pair of faded levi's and i use to put the side cutters in my back pocket when not used haha then i bought some henry lloyd work trousers with holster pockets and about 10 other pockets with my first wages.

Reply to Looking cool back in the day, for the older guys in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net