Discuss Looking for a job as an Electricians Mate. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 109422

Hello everyone.
I expect I will initially be using agencies to gain employment as an electricians mate in the very near future. But I just thought I would shout out and ask if any of you knew of any good websites to look at when seeking employment in this field.

Any advice on how to get my feet back on the electrical employment ladder would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Sym.

Good morning Dillb.
I am in Cambridgeshire, near Huntington.
I have extensive experience wiring houses, however I really would rather do something different like shop-fitting for example.
There is a job advertised on CV library on this forum site for an electricians mate in LLandovery, Wales. It is a shop-fitting job, it is night work. 10 hours a night, 7 nights a week for 3 to 4 weeks. I could do that short term. It pays well, £16.00-£17.33 ph, but I would obviously need accommodation which would take a lump out of my wage which has put me of.
I was thinking about looking into Hinkley Point, I quite like the idea of working on such a big project.

Regards,
Sym

Digs can take a large bit of your wages, especially if the hotel or rental agency is under the impression that it's a big company paying the bills even when it is not the company picking up the tab, once they get that idea in their head they won't be interested in coming down a bit on the rate and would rather lose the rental or booking than reduce anything.

This all depends on the location as well.

I will keep an eye open for decent work for you in places near to you or good working away numbers and tell you when I find something good.

Hi Edtwozeronine
I once lived on a boat on a river for four months with no running water, I used the local swimming pool for showering, I cooked on a BBQ.

I had thought about camping for the away job mentioned above in Wales but it is night work and trying to sleep in a tent during the day can be a nightmare.

Sym

Hello everyone.
I expect I will initially be using agencies to gain employment as an electricians mate in the very near future. But I just thought I would shout out and ask if any of you knew of any good websites to look at when seeking employment in this field.

Any advice on how to get my feet back on the electrical employment ladder would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
Sym.
Are yo
Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance,
Sym.

Try another trade. It's not too late. I worked with a pal years back as a plasterer, and a pipe fitter left to pursue the apex trade of sparky-----dom. Both are multi millionaires now. And a lot happier than I've ever been at work. No loyalty amongst sparks, worst subbie bashers of all trades and we're canabalizing each other, using and abusing mates. It's a ---- trade to get into. Word to wise and all that.

Hi Paleosparky13
cheers for the reply, however, you make it all seem a bit doom and gloom.!!
Anyway, apart from the electrical industry I don't know what else to do.....and I better start doing something real soon!

Sym

I subbed for a company based in Huntingdon recently. Guys said they're taking on mates/improvers, could be a good local gig. www.playfords.co.uk that's the site mate

Hi there juanmanners,
I finally finished re-vamping my electrical CV today and have sent a copy off to Playfords. Thanks again for the heads up re the company (any other info / your experience with them would be gratefully recieved either here or via a PM).

It looks like they do work country wide, working away from home suits me if the accommodation is paid for.

Fingers crossed! I need a job!

All the best juan and thankyou

Sym

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem mate. From what the lads were saying, a lot of their work is in London but they'd mentioned jobs they had on that are local-ish to you. As for the type of work, they do commercial/industrial. School, hospitals, factories etc. Seemed interesting and varied, I certainly learned a ton on that job. Good luck in your search anyway mate, if you've got any other q's drop me a message

I subbed for a company based in Huntingdon recently. Guys said they're taking on mates/improvers, could be a good local gig. www.playfords.co.uk that's the site mate
Hi Juanmanners
I did email playfords with a covering letter and a CV a week ago or so but haven't heard back from them.

I must have sent out 50 CV's now and have heard nothing from anyone. The thing is, I haven't worked in the electrical industry since 2010.

Hello everyone.
Thought I would give you an update on my venture to gaining employment.
Well, it has taken a month and I have sent out over 70 CV's but I have finally got a start. I start this coming Monday as an electricians mate on the first and second fix of a new build leisure centre. There is work till November, 10 hour days and the money is better than I hoped for. It is an hours drive from where I live, but I can cope with that. It is also with an agency, but I can cope with that too. I am well chuffed.

So, anyone one out there struggling to get a start please persevere, and good luck in your efforts.

Sym.

Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance,
Sym.
We are looking for Site Electricians and are based in St Ives - if you change your mind and want to stay local then contact us - Red Lodge and Buntingford are new build sites that we are currently looking for more electricians on. Price work. The electricians are earning between £800 and £1400 per 5 day week on these sites.

Reply to Looking for a job as an Electricians Mate. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock