Discuss Looking for advice around a rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

meeshaldridge

An electrician looked at my wiring last night. I originally had him round to discuss updating fuse board plus other additions in relation to changing socket covers, some moving of lights and changing light switches, disconnecting electrical shower from board. He took off one of the sockets upstairs that were fitted as part of a partial rewire following an electrical installation inspection when i bought the property 13 years ago. The socket had black and red cable to it and the green and yellow earth. Is it the case that if an electrician is updating the fuse board to current standards then the old colours of black and red wiring on sockets etc would have to be fully replaced and require a full rewire?
Should I have another electrical installation inspection done before going ahead with a full rewire?
Any advice, gratefully appreciated.

red and black cable does not need replacing. it's only new cables that should be brown and blue. a second opinion is always a good idea. i'd be happy to give you one.

I think the best idea would be to gather as much info and as many pictures as possible. Some good ones would be of the Consumer unit (fuse board) and a good amount of all the fixed wiring outlets (sockets lighting etc). Also if there is any paperwork about from previous work then try to get that on here.

Just letting you know what the real electricians ;-) on here will need before offering up an opinion.

Red and black cable may or may not need replacing. It depends on it condition after all this rubber insulated cable in my new project is red and black !

20161015_110823.jpg

20161015_110823.jpg

20161015_110810 (Medium).jpg

20161015_110810 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Without testing its impossible to say it needs a rewire or not. What is the results of his tests? If he is saying rewire it without testing, that is not best practice. Having just done a house worse than your photo by far, the owner did not want a rewire so I tested each cable on all circuit one by one and only replaced those that needed it, new fittings all round. Finally a new CU which all came to a grand less than a re-wire. It is a choice for you to make with the best advice of course. He could test each circuit as a whole and advise you which should not take too long. And where is the earth ?

Without testing its impossible to say it needs a rewire or not. What is the results of his tests? If he is saying rewire it without testing, that is not best practice. Having just done a house worse than your photo by far, the owner did not want a rewire so I tested each cable on all circuit one by one and only replaced those that needed it, new fittings all round. Finally a new CU which all came to a grand less than a re-wire. It is a choice for you to make with the best advice of course. He could test each circuit as a whole and advise you which should not take too long. And where is the earth ?
Those pics are not from the OP.

Whilst I agree the rewire of a property is not necessary because the inner cables are the old colours and would agree testing would provide some information about the condition of any cabling.

Testing however is not the panacea for knowing the condition of an installation. Your electrician would also need to carry out a detailed inspection of fittings/faceplates/consumer units etc, to have a understanding of the state of the wiring. Manufacturers of cables give a probable life expectancy of 20 years or maximum of 50 years with minimal loading or heating, they are a bit conservative mind.

Just thought we should point that out to the OP.

These aren't photographs are wiring in my property. These photos are an example that Dave Prosser has put up to show the condition of the rubberised red and black wires. The one socket that the electrician took off, the condition of the cabling is in no way as bad as Dave's examples and has the green and yellow earth cable as well

then it's time to seek a second opinion. Liverpool is within my area if you wish to take me up on my offer.

Reply to Looking for advice around a rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net