Discuss Looking for advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

At the ripe old age of 42 I have decided that I would like to re-train as an electrician. Yawn, another one they say. Based on the understanding that I've got at least another 25 years work in me, it doesn't feel too late to make a change.

Obviously, considering my age, I am looking for the quickest route into the industry and believe that with my maturity and transferable skills I can develop quickly and make up for time.

I have seen the short DI courses and have judged the views of experienced electricians on these 'Electrical Trainee courses' but I would like to hear from anyone who has taken this route. Clearly I would love to take the C&G route with apprenticeship but it just isn't feasible. Before committing my efforts I would very much welcome some advice.

Please feel free to PM me if this is more appropriate.

Thanks Jamie

The issue with short courses, is that it does not give you the 'life skills' that an apprenticeship does, learning how to physically carry out the installation work, problem solving etc. A lot is learnt by the apprentices from their electricians.

There are some here who have done short course, and will be better to advise you how to fill this gap in the learning curve.

Thanks Midwest.
I appreciate that an apprenticeship is the best grounding but unfortunately I must find an alternative. With maturity comes the ability to adapt and develop quickly and with focus. I am hoping this will assist in the addressing the curve. I'd be really grateful for the views of anyone who has taken the short route.

Thanks Midwest.
I appreciate that an apprenticeship is the best grounding but unfortunately I must find an alternative. With maturity comes the ability to adapt and develop quickly and with focus. I am hoping this will assist in the addressing the curve. I'd be really grateful for the views of anyone who has taken the short route.

None of those short courses, will tell you how to fish cables under floorboards, get cable tray level, pull in armoured cables, spread down lights evenly across a ceiling, design circuits/diversity for a new house or rewire. You only get that by experience.

Incidentally, if anyone can do the above, could they let me know :)

Search this site. I have read somewhere in here a post where people who have taken these short courses talk about them.

Hello Jamie, what transferable skills do you have? What do you do?

Are you sure want to enter an already crowded and cut throat market as "DI" (what ever one of those are)

Just be sure the grass will be greener for you as there are already copious amounts of chancers about undercutting electricians in that area.

Good luck with it all though.

Hi Jamie and welcome
I have advised on this sort of post before im a mature student myself in me 40s there is no short cut or fast track route to being an electrician or domestic installer. I would highly recommend the city and guilds route and advise against all the Electrical Trainee courses they will teach you very little and cost you lots. Midwest reply is great advice and you will only gain that knowledge by working with and shadowing another electrician. It takes a long time to understand domestic installation work. Try and target electricians with a well written covering letter and c.v with your previous skills and objectives for the future. Contact your local college and inquire about electrical courses available. Have a look at some of my previous replies to posts on this matter and take it from someone who was in your situation a couple of years ago. I love my change of career and im glad I did it but I have only achieved my knowledge and experience by working with experienced electricians.
Good luck and believe me it is possible the job satisfaction is amazing.

Agree with uksrevivor, the main point is shadowing an electrician through all aspects of the trade. Get yourself details of a college course night or day then knowing there is a place for you get a letter up together and by any means get a job as an electricians mate. It might not pay much but the experiences whilst you do college will be payment in itself. If you are starting from scratch immerse yourself in the theory from the ground up as there is a lot and the hard work will pay off. It's a change of career and that's never easy but it's a great career (don't tell anyone I said that).
Buy as many up to date second hand books or loans from library and get reading, watch you tube - start with JW John Ward and he'll take you through the basics to the bizarre.
I've been electricians mate for 14 months and am confident to do most things, I can't say all things because I don't know what they are yet!

Reply to Looking for advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net