Discuss Looking for another wholesaler in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I agree with Lee the Electric Centre for me and have a good online catalogue. Our local branch has an out of hours collection room so you don't need to rush back before they close.

Last edited:
im a sole trader in glasgow and ive been doing some thinking. I dont like the way my current wholesaler operates (CEF) I particularly dont like the way it takes ages to get an order together if i ask for prices on the reciept. The other option is to guesstimate the price of what im buying (not always full proof)

Is there any other major wholesalers that you know of that doesnt have a problem getting the prices for things?
Like when i ask them to give me prices its a whole debacle, they have to manually input each item into their specific shop database and then the price is generated. Apparently each CEF shop has their own individual prices, so its more confusion than i appreciate.

I mean is it too much to ask to go into a shop buy a whole bunch of stuff, get an accurate reciept and then pay that money?

I'm surprised you have these problems. I mainly use CEF and Electric Centre. I'd say 95% time I get prices back same day. You have to build a relationship with a wholesaler. I have prices for regularly bought items set. I'm still paying the same for some stuff I was 5 years ago. Normally only a delay if an item is out of stock or unusual for delivery. I get a delivery twice a week to wherever I want the materials. I know everyone at the branch and they all get a bottle at Christmas as a 'thank you'. Amazing how that lubricates the wheels of helpfulness!

I always email orders so if they f*^k up I have an audit trail. Conversely there's never been an issue returning stuff.

I'm a strong advocate for supporting the industry. If we don't one day they won't be there. I refuse to use places like screwed fix. My local one is manned by Unknowledgeable people and they don't stock many brands like Hager etc.

There is a free pricing software you could try. Think it's Elecktrica? Google should be your friend.

Like when i ask them to give me prices its a whole debacle, they have to manually input each item into their specific shop database and then the price is generated. Apparently each CEF shop has their own individual prices, so its more confusion than i appreciate.
I am confused as to how you expect them to tell you the price without putting in each item?

I am sure that all wholesalers will have to do this otherwise they are essentially guessing a price?

You can always try Eddies, Rexel and Electric Centre. But they are still going to have to enter the items onto the quote to get a price.

I don't think outside of your screwfixes and toolstations etc, there is a set price/discount. Wholesalers for the most part will always have to apply the discounts, but once done one time the discount should be saved.

im a sole trader in glasgow and ive been doing some thinking. I dont like the way my current wholesaler operates (CEF) I particularly dont like the way it takes ages to get an order together if i ask for prices on the reciept. The other option is to guesstimate the price of what im buying (not always full proof)

Is there any other major wholesalers that you know of that doesnt have a problem getting the prices for things?

I mean is it too much to ask to go into a shop buy a whole bunch of stuff, get an accurate reciept and then pay that money?

Have you considered using an online wholesaler?

I use Discount Electrical all the time. Their prices are very good, and you only have to spend £30 to qualify for free delivery. Highly recommended.

My local CEF is close at 7 miles away. I've not had any trouble with them. I have an account, so I can check prices online with my discount. Only thing is its a bit small... but you can check branch availability online too.
Further away at the other end of town is a YESSS. Not really used them, so cannot comment. For me its just handier to go to CEF.
Online retailers are good for prices, if you can plan well in advance and don't mind waiting for delivery.
The only problem I see with Screwfix, for example, is that the customers can price check themselves.. You can't mark up the materials like you can from a wholesaler.

Like with anything, if you shop around, you will find a good place, with good service. If you are not happy with your local, go try somewhere else.

My local CEF is close at 7 miles away. I've not had any trouble with them. I have an account, so I can check prices online with my discount. Only thing is its a bit small... but you can check branch availability online too.
Further away at the other end of town is a YESSS. Not really used them, so cannot comment. For me its just handier to go to CEF.
Online retailers are good for prices, if you can plan well in advance and don't mind waiting for delivery.
The only problem I see with Screwfix, for example, is that the customers can price check themselves.. You can't mark up the materials like you can from a wholesaler.

Like with anything, if you shop around, you will find a good place, with good service. If you are not happy with your local, go try somewhere else.

I find that cef are dearer for domestic stuff even like for like. I asked for a bigger discount and was told to start using them more and they would review my discount
so I would have to use them for a month or so and be out of pocket for them to review
or i just keep going between lsk screwfix and toolstation ...

guess what cef haven't had a penny yet six months on

I find that cef are dearer for domestic stuff even like for like. I asked for a bigger discount and was told to start using them more and they would review my discount
so I would have to use them for a month or so and be out of pocket for them to review
or i just keep going between lsk screwfix and toolstation ...

guess what cef haven't had a penny yet six months on
No change there then DC?

I use CEF, Electric Center and a local wholesaler (Riverbank in Kilmarnock)
They are all good

I get a price list from CEF and all my stock is on the computer. I check these costs against other wholesalers and its there abouts

My local CEF price my lines and I know what I am paying.

My other small local one is a paper and pen outfit and its good - they know their stuff and the prices are OK.

Make a spread sheet of all the stuff you use and send it to them- make sure you specify the same brands etc
Make sure the email shows the other wholesalers in the cc field and they will know you are comparing the market.

You could always give us a chance! Electrical2go.co.uk

• Independent wholesaler
  • A member of FEGIME (one of the biggest buying groups in Europe = great prices)
  • Forum Sponsor
  • Stock holding of 2-3 mil
  • 5% discount for forum members of all orders. - sign up for an online account and add FORUM1st when prompted.
  • As we're online all prices and available.
  • Quotes department for bulk orders
  • Trustpilot score of 5 stars - Excellent
  • Nice guys.

We understand buying online isn't for everyone (and our branches would be very thankful for that) but if you know what you need for a job and you've organised your time (we need time to deliver) then we could probably save you a lot of money.

Happy shopping,

Ivan - Electrical2go

Reply to Looking for another wholesaler in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock