• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Looking for electrical check and possible new consumer unit - Airdrie in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

so JK Electrical came round today to do my EICR as agreed. Very pleasant guy (as was his apprentice) although my installation I think tested this to the limit. They were very thorough and stuck with it till the bitter end

results (from memory not got report yet)
- RCD on consumer unit is knackered - so CU will end up getting replaced after all
- Kitchen is an electrical disaster area area, but a lot safer now the split ring is protected by suitable RCD
- Alcove lighting was bodged in
- Backboxes were largely a disaster area, very little attempt to use the right size or install straight and level and any screw which came to hand was forced in. Doubts were also expressed as to whether grout/plaster/artex/paint is the best way to fix accessories to the wall :)

Hopefully I'll be getting Jim back in when I'm ready to redo kitchen (the kitchen is need of replacement), although it is possible my place will be the straw that breaks the camels back and he may retire from domestic work - hopefully not

so JK Electrical came round today to do my EICR as agreed. Very pleasant guy (as was his apprentice) although my installation I think tested this to the limit. They were very thorough and stuck with it till the bitter end

- RCD on consumer unit is knackered - so CU will end up getting replaced after all
- Kitchen is an electrical disaster area area, but a lot safer now the split ring is protected by suitable RCD
- Backboxes were largely a disaster area, very little attempt to use the right size or install straight and level and any screw which came to hand was forced in. Doubts were also expressed as to whether grout/plaster/artex/paint is the best way to fix accessories to the wall :)

Hopefully I'll be getting Jim back in when I'm ready to redo kitchen (the kitchen is need of replacement), although it is possible my place will be the straw that breaks the camels back and he may retire from domestic work - hopefully not
Split Kitchen RFC is OK now it's protected by a suitable RCD?

should read

- Kitchen is an electrical disaster area, but a lot safer now the split ring is protected by suitable MCB (was 32A now 16A)

Thanks Martin, it's nice to be appreciated. :)

Your kitchen is in pretty bad condition, but believe me, I've seen much worse than this. Indeed, the amount of absolutely atrocious DIY abominations that I've come across in the greater Glasgow area this summer has been truly staggering. To say that I'm rapidly becoming thoroughly disillusioned with working in the domestic market would be something of an understatement.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to retire just yet though so me and my astute apprentice will be available to rewire your kitchen from scratch and fit a new consumer unit for you later in the year.

Thanks for your custom and for tolerating my foul language lol.

Reply to Looking for electrical check and possible new consumer unit - Airdrie in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock