Discuss Looking for information on compressor electrical items in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm currently trying to revamp a 3ph 200l compressor that has most of the electrical equipment missing. I found this site by researching 3ph to 1ph motors. Some excellent info on here so I thought I'd join.
I'm a mechanical fitter by trade although I have worked on electrical devices throughout my working career.
Always better to get information from more qualified and knowledgeable people.
Cheers!

Hello All,
I'm currently trying to revamp a 3ph 200l compressor that has most of the electrical equipment missing. I found this site by researching 3ph to 1ph motors. Some excellent info on here so I thought I'd join.
I'm a mechanical fitter by trade although I have worked on electrical devices throughout my working career.
Always better to get information from more qualified and knowledgeable people.
Cheers!
Got a picture of the data plate on the motor?

When I had it it was missing:
Pressure switch
D.O.L starter
Bleed line
Relief valve
It did have a 5.5hp 3ph motor but the lead was cut off at the motor. I've checked the motor and if seems fine. I'm thinking of fitting a 5hp 1ph motor and doing research on that was how I came across you guys.

My concern is that the 1ph 5hp motor takes 25 amps and that may be too big to run from a normal domestic supply. I believe running it through a 25 amp D.O.L starter with overload should give me some protection but it's this sort of thing that I need advice on and hopefully I can get that here:)

20180905_143037-1.jpg
Here is the plate from the original 3ph motor. Compressor is a Clarke SE25C200

I don't think you'll get away with fitting a 5HP single phase motor for several reasons;

It will be lower HP than the original so it will probably be overloaded unless you reduce the pulley ratios to reduce mechanical load. This will obviously negatively effect the air output of the unit.

It will have approx start current of 120A and run current of 25A compared to the 3-phase figures of 14.5A and 8.4A of the original. This means all the electrical switchgear, supply wiring and internal wiring and cabling will need replacing with much larger items to prevent volt-drop becoming an issue.

Single phase motors have far less starting torque compared to their 3-phase counterparts so you may need a more elaborate air off-loader to allow a larger time window of off-load starting torque.

I'm not saying that fitting a single phase motor is impossible but you're probably going to have to be prepared to reduce the performance of the unit and spend far more money on the supply and control gear than you would if you stuck with a 3-phase motor the same as the original spec.

You will need something in the region as you say of 5hp for single phase and would be cap start, cap run however, the run current will be in the region of 17 to 20A but the start current could be up to 80A. Yes it is possible with a 5hp cap start/run motor.

Ran up the compressor with a 3hp single phase motor and it ran OK cutting out at 8 bar and restarting at 6 bar without any issues. Think I may go for 4hp motor as this will obviously draw less current, (and cost less!) and output shaft is still correct diameter

No I didn't check the current draw as I don't have a clamp meter. I was trying to determine if the pump was ok before I invest money in a motor. Im just asking for advice at the moment. Ultimately I'll get an electrician to do the installation as I also want a seperate consumer unit in my garage. The 3hp motor was from my 50l compressor.

Reply to Looking for information on compressor electrical items in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net