Discuss Looking for some advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a full qualified 17th edition electrician with about 10 years experience. I now want to set up on my own as a domestic electrician. Like i said i have nvq level 3 and 17th edition. I was just wondering is there any more qualifications or courses i need or should take? Any advice in general would be great. Thanks!

no need. are you considering joining a scam for the part pee notifiable works fiasco?

Welcome to the forum mate.
Are you currently employed?
Why do you want to go self employed?
Go you gave a good customer base?

legally, you're good to go. as for the part pee. any work in a special location ( bathroom), any new circiuts, CU changes, should be notified to building control. you have 4 options.
1. join a scam and then notification is simple and about £2.
2. pay BC around £300 to certify for you.
3.get a mate who's in a scam to oversee the work and sign it off.
4.ignore notification. prosecutions for this ( unless something goes wrong) are a staggering amount of ..... ZERO.

No need to do anything else? I have been reading about the part p and to be honest im confused about if i am supposed to have it or not! Some articles sound like i wouldnt be able to sign any jobs off without it?

You cant 'have' part P. It's a building regulations document not a qualification.
You need to comply with part P if you are doing residential work. Download the part P document and read it.
Enquire with the various schemes as to entry requirements, join a scheme for an annual fat fee and this will enable you to notify to BC jobs which require notification for a very small fee per notification.
If you are not a member of a scheme you will have to part with a substantial fee for each job that requires notification or break the law.
There is some confusion over 'signing off'. Anyone can issue the appropriate certificate 'signed off' to the client. It is the legal requirement of notification to BC with certain jobs that gets tricky, the only viable way is through one of the schemes.

Stroma. Part P is building regs exam C&G 2392 or something close. It's a one day course. You have to test and verify any installation prior to commissioning. You have to issue a certificate for most work. If you do not join a scheme you will have to notify B.C. local authority and the client will have to pay hundreds. If you are with a CPS, they will arrange notification and the client will receive that important document as passed by B.C. saving hundreds circa £300.
So you will need CPS membership. Each one will require Qualies, differing with each. They will need insurance PL and for EICR PI. They will want to see your complaints procedure, H&S statement Risk Assessment and method statement. Also some examples of work.

Stroma. Part P is building regs exam C&G 2392 or something close. It's a one day course. You have to test and verify any installation prior to commissioning. You have to issue a certificate for most work. If you do not join a scheme you will have to notify B.C. local authority and the client will have to pay hundreds. If you are with a CPS, they will arrange notification and the client will receive that important document as passed by B.C. saving hundreds circa £300.
So you will need CPS membership. Each one will require Qualies, differing with each. They will need insurance PL and for EICR PI. They will want to see your complaints procedure, H&S statement Risk Assessment and method statement. Also some examples of work.

I think that's very misleading and perpetuates the myth that part P is a qualification.
There is no part P qualification and anything this course 'teaches' can be had for free simply be reading the part P document.

So do i need to do this part p course or do i just contact NIC and they assess my jobs and then i can sign the documents off? Im even more confused now. Can someone just tell me what a domestic electrician has to do once hes done a job. Say a rewire?

Hi Jurassic
You will not need to have a part p qualification you are fully qualified as you say although a testing certification would not hurt your portfolio. To join a scheme and not have to pay local building control a large portion of your profit you will need to have 1 or 2 recent installations available for inspection with all testing results and some schemes require at least initial verification and testing qualifications to be able to join.
Have a read of a few posts on here about the schemes requirements and how others have passed there assessments it may help shed a bit of light on the subject more And remember not all jobs will require building control notification.

Reply to Looking for some advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net