Discuss Looking for some help with my college course. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Adam_92

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hey, I'm doing my NVQ level 3 and wondering if somebody can help me with some questions because my tutor is no help at all.

1. describe the types of faults most likely to occur in
a) terminations and connection
b)instrumentation and metering at the intake position.

my asnwers;
a) Termination and connections a common fault that could occur is snapping of cables and not having a tight enough connection which causes high fault currents or low earth readings.
b) instrumentation and metering at the intake position will not show how much electricity is being used by the load.

2.Following the fault finding and rectification process a client has requested that a periodic inspection and test is carried out on the installation for insurance purposes.
a)identify the THREE different outcome codes that would be used by an inspector when concerns are identified on the installation.
B) explain what is meant by each of the three codes identifies in 2a) above.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me :)

Hey, I'm doing my NVQ level 3 and wondering if somebody can help me with some questions because my tutor is no help at all.

1. describe the types of faults most likely to occur in
a) terminations and connection
b)instrumentation and metering at the intake position.

my asnwers;
a) Termination and connections a common fault that could occur is snapping of cables and not having a tight enough connection which causes high fault currents or low earth readings.
b) instrumentation and metering at the intake position will not show how much electricity is being used by the load.

2.Following the fault finding and rectification process a client has requested that a periodic inspection and test is carried out on the installation for insurance purposes.
a)identify the THREE different outcome codes that would be used by an inspector when concerns are identified on the installation.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me :)
file:///C:/Users/Pete/Desktop/Resources/BestPracticeGuide4-Issue3%20EICR.pdf
My attachment should help you answer the second part of your question
Not happening is it? google Best Practice Guide 4
file:///C:/Users/Pete/Desktop/Resources/BestPracticeGuide4-Issue3%20EICR.pdf

Thanks Pete for your reply but the attachment isn't working
I know google best practice Guide 4
Sorry Electrical Safety Council Best Practice Guide 4

Terminations:
Loose connections
Cables not stripped to expose copper conductors
Wrong connections (wrong terminals used
Damaged insulation
Not enough slack left in the wires
Copper conductors not fully into terminals especialyon terminals that have two screws, also make sure the clamp type terminal have the conductor properly seated, check for tightness, use a torque screwdriver, the lis could go on, you have covered some of these in your answers.

Metering and Instrumentation:
Crossed polarity at Meters a fault usually made by the meter fitter
Not sure what they are getting at with regard to insstruments, could that be, making sure you have the proper Voltage indicater etc? I know you said your Tutor doesn't help much, try and nail him down as to what exactly the question means, when other members wake up or return from work, I'm sure some of the other Trainees will be able to help. In the mean time if you don't have access to the trainee area, post a request to Dan or one of the other Admin, just use the title "Request for Trainee Access"

Good luck

As you are in training I can't see access being a problem

Last edited:
a) Termination and connections a common fault that could occur is snapping of cables and not having a tight enough connection which causes high fault currents or low earth readings. snapping will cause either a non-working point/s ( L or N ), or a dangerous situation if E. poor connections will lead to arcing and burning of cables and terminals.
b) instrumentation and metering at the intake position will not show how much electricity is being used by the load. a fault with the metering could also result in a circuit not working

a)identify the THREE different outcome codes that would be used by an inspector when concerns are identified on the installation.you should know this. look in GN3 for codes and their meanings.

Thanks, just wondering if anyone could give my guidance and tell me if I am correct on this question,

11. A maintenance report details a number of situations. identify and explain suitable test to determine the likely problem for each of the following situations.

a) The lighting circuit was still live although the protective device has operated.

b) a new machine does not function.

c) A new three-phase motor is running the wrong way

A)The neutral could be shared from another lighting circuit which is giving you a back feed I would check this by putting a voltage indicator across neutral and cpc.

B) Use a voltage indicator to check you have the correct voltage at the incoming terminal on the machine and check you do not have crossed polarity (bit unsure on this one)

C)
a) When a three-phase motor is running the wrong way this normally means that the phase rotation is incorrect, so you will need to check this with a phase rotation indicator by connecting it across all three phases at the origin of the supply and checking it at the motor supply.

could you tell me if I am on the right track or not :)

Thanks, just wondering if anyone could give my guidance and tell me if I am correct on this question,

11. A maintenance report details a number of situations. identify and explain suitable test to determine the likely problem for each of the following situations.

a) The lighting circuit was still live although the protective device has operated.

b) a new machine does not function.

c) A new three-phase motor is running the wrong way

A)The neutral could be shared from another lighting circuit which is giving you a back feed I would check this by putting a voltage indicator across neutral and cpc.

B) Use a voltage indicator to check you have the correct voltage at the incoming terminal on the machine and check you do not have crossed polarity (bit unsure on this one)

C)
a) When a three-phase motor is running the wrong way this normally means that the phase rotation is incorrect, so you will need to check this with a phase rotation indicator by connecting it across all three phases at the origin of the supply and checking it at the motor supply.

could you tell me if I am on the right track or not :)
C "Phase Sequence" not rotation.

cheers mate any advice on the other two?
B
I would check the incomer as you say, but the nonstarting could be a control fault, so check out the control circuit, control fuse open circuit, start stop button inactive, interlock on the Machine has been compromised.

A
Could be connected to a different OCPD, check circuit labeling

A could be a crossed over circuit or a failed protective device. A neutral shared with another circuit will not show live until disconnected.
B a new item may be faulty but more lkely testing for supply voltage along the circuit will find a disconnection.
C phase sequence testing is the way to go

What tests do you think, you have atempted to answer the questions posed, so give us what tests you think are required.

Reply to Looking for some help with my college course. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net