Discuss Looking to install alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I have been asked twice in as many months about a price to install a house alarm, nothing too fancy.
Only experience i have of alarms is the wireless sort. i am quite good at data cabling and understanding smart home technologies so would be able to pick it up quite quickly.
Can anybody recommend a good place to start with learning how to install them to a sufficient standard?
Any companies offer training on their product range?

Suggestions welcome

I've installed 3 or 4 security alarm systems (for family) in the past, they are quite simple to install as long as there is detailed instructions provided, the hardest bit will be routing the cables....but as long as you don't run them under carpets or staple them round doorframes (British Telecom style!) you should be fine.

i i remember correct, the installer manual for the lower range of texecom panels comes with wiring diagrams.as KEV jusr said, it's not technically difficult.

I've installed 3 or 4 security alarm systems (for family) in the past, they are quite simple to install as long as there is detailed instructions provided, the hardest bit will be routing the cables....but as long as you don't run them under carpets or staple them round doorframes (British Telecom style!) you should be fine.
I'll bear that in mind. i am pretty good with cables having spent some time running cat5 and telecoms through an office building.
I might just buy a bunch of stuff and practice installing it on a rig to make sense of it, its better than a lot of courses and likely cheaper too.

The first mistake I made was I didn't link out the tamper switches correctly at the panel, I wired them together in parallel instead of in series, so when I tested the tamper switches at each sensor the panel didn't pick it up!

basically, each detector has 2 alarm pairs. 1 is tamper and the other is alarm.when unset, the alarm pair are inactive, but if the tamper pair goes open, the panel sounds internal alarm only. when set, either pair open generate a full alarm: also if 1 pair is shorted to the other, a full alarm will ensue. either situation can generally be silenced by entering the customer code. active detectors (e.g. PIRs) also have a 12V d.c. power feed.
an alternative system used only 1 alarm pair by utilising eol resistors in a series /parallel arrangement.
then there's the bell/sounder.you have a permanent + and - to hold the thing silent, a - trigger, a tamper return, and a -strobe trigger (5 cores).

gthat's basically it in brief.

All of the above but don't tug the cables. And keep the terminations neat , no scraggy ends to short out.
The next thing is to think how you would break in if you were the villan.

In the last ten or fifteen years whenever I am requested to install an alarm,I ask them "why"
The best alarm system is only as good as the response,sadly and especially in urban areas they are considered nothing more than a general nuisance when they activate and are widely ignored

I suppose with new remote applications available these days,they may become worthwhile again,you can watch your home being burgled on your phone from afar whilst you cross your fingers the police in your area have manpower for such minor crimes :)

Consider getting trained for fire alarms(burglar alarm installation is common as muck)
Commissioning and designing fire alarm systems is a talented and sought after service

My take is, if you are seriously wanting to provide proper security systems for your customers, then hard wired only.
One of the best wireless systems I know of is the Texecom system, but even this goes to sleep after a period to preserve batteries. The amount of times I've been embarrassed walk testing a system and having to do a fandango to activate a pir. Contacts and inertia sensors are pretty good though.
Hard wired provides security, wireless provides a quick easy buck.

My take is, if you are seriously wanting to provide proper security systems for your customers, then hard wired only.
One of the best wireless systems I know of is the Texecom system, but even this goes to sleep after a period to preserve batteries. The amount of times I've been embarrassed walk testing a system and having to do a fandango to activate a pir. Contacts and inertia sensors are pretty good though.
Hard wired provides security, wireless provides a quick easy buck.

I agree with that . Years ago l was called out to an alarm that was not working at all.
It had been installed by that company that was charging megga bucks to install.
It turned out that the panel had shut out the devices that could not sustain their operation due to low battery power . The user had no idea of any of the warnings on the panel , so the system eventually just shut down except for the mains power side of it.

To be fair to the panel and the customer it had run for years on duracell batteries and the customer had simply forgot the initial insructions.

Stay away from anything that has a global tamper.

Why? Nothing wrong with a global tamper. imo...
As Tel says, they are with the budget panels but some of them panels are good.

you just need to remember to wire in series, not parallel. the joints i made in global tamper loops were just twisted and sleeved. been in 30+ years and never has 1 fail.

Why? Nothing wrong with a global tamper. imo...
As Tel says, they are with the budget panels but some of them panels are good.
Because for not a lot more money you can buy a premier elite panel or similar thats a lot more versatile...plus if you ever have a tamper fault it tells You what zone....saves going around every device....I won't entertain the idea of installing cheap budget alarms.

My go to choice when installing alarms as part of a rewire/newbuild is premier elite panel, recessed RKP and odyssey x3 bell.

Last edited:
Start with pyronix I think that's 're the vesya 2nd once you do one nearly all are the same based on the same principle. Relatively easy to pick up and installer manuals are usually very detailed

I agree hard wired is the way to go for a decent install but this day and age some customers hate anything that is visible and prefer wireless due to the convenience. if doing other work or a full rewire then wired is the way to go. But if they want quality then they have to understand the need to route cables properly.
I had a customer once ask if i could add some extra sockets but didnt want me to chase the wall from the floorboards up to positions and it couldnt be surface mounted as it would ruin her freshly decorated lounge.. i had to explain electricity is not like wifi!! it needs cables....

I had a customer once ask if i could add some extra sockets but didnt want me to chase the wall from the floorboards up to positions and it couldnt be surface mounted as it would ruin her freshly decorated lounge.. i had to explain electricity is not like wifi!! it needs cables....

You are doing it all wrong........ Did the customer specify she wanted the sockets to work????? You could just sick the sockets to the wall using blue tack and hey presto, job done....

You are doing it all wrong........ Did the customer specify she wanted the sockets to work????? You could just sick the sockets to the wall using blue tack and hey presto, job done....
That's usually an agency sparkys trait!

Reply to Looking to install alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net