Discuss Looks a squeeze, 240 swa thoughts. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

LeeH

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have a 250kW motor with the terminal box in the photo. To me it looks a proper squeeze to bend in the conductors.

Thoughts?

Other options I can think of is allowing the use of SY on this cable only or parallel cables.

Looks a squeeze, 240 swa thoughts. {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I have absolutely no experience of cables that big, but if I was asked to do it I might be inclined to do a bit of a switch around, so left cable to right terminals (I'm guessing there is going to be two cables as there are 6 terminals) and vice versa to give myself a bigger bend radius.

Please post up a pick of it when it's done :)

Have a 250kW motor with the terminal box in the photo. To me it looks a proper squeeze to bend in the conductors.

Thoughts?

Other options I can think of is allowing the use of SY on this cable only or parallel cables.

You try, tri rated conductors.

Cannot get them in Pete, ATEX. Have 2 M75 holes so cannot mod the box.
Where did the 240mm2 SWA calcs come from? that's a big old cable. Ignore please I got my sums wrong

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking with VFDs that it would be a three core cable, with the motor connected in star formation?

Edit:- I'm thinking it may be dependent on the driver itself.

Am I right in thinking with VFDs that it would be a three core cable, with the motor connected in star formation?

Not sure a motor that size would be started DOL

Yes, a VFD cable should be symmetrically arranged, no 4th core.

1 cable, 3 cores to this motor. 3 if you include the CPC and thyristor cable.

Not sure a motor that size would be started DOL

I think the VFD would gradually ramp up the frequency and applied voltage over a pre-programmed period of time or at a pre-programmed rate.

I'm trying to learn abit about VFDs as I've got a sneaky feeling one of the farmers I do a bit of work for has one on the feed mill he's wanting to get connected up, so I'm doing a bit of reading around the subject ahead of the inevitable "it don't work chick, can you come and have a look at it for me" :)

Perhaps some combination of angled / cranked lugs, so the near one goes straight, the next one is slightly cranked, then the far one kicks up to the lid of the box at 45° and overflies the first two.

If permissible, an additional pre-formed copper link to offset one of the terminals, or even a flag terminal if a suitable one can be found, could allow one core to go on the outside of the studs.

Could you get an extension box made to give you better accessibility, maybe make it higher, and use angled lugs.

Angled lugs! Never seen them, I'll have a google and give the info to the sub-contractor. (they haven't seen this yet)

Pete, its a ATEX motor. No mods whatsoever unfortunately.

I'll also call Rota the manufacturer and see what they say as everyone else must manage somehow.

Angled lugs! Never seen them, I'll have a google and give the info to the sub-contractor.

Pete, its a ATEX motor. No mods whatsoever unfortunately.
Sorry Mate never had any dealings with ATEX why the restrictions on mods?

Certified kit pal, it has to be how it was designed to function in hazardous areas.

To be fair this is outside the zone now, but if that changes back I don't my name on a bodged up 10 plus grand motor.

Certified kit pal, it has to be how it was designed to function in hazardous areas.

To be fair this is outside the zone now, but if that changes back I don't my name on a bodged up 10 plus grand motor.
Thanks Lee you learn something new every day, I understand the restrictions now, thanks again for the reply.

Reply to Looks a squeeze, 240 swa thoughts. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock