Discuss Looped service - flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have uploaded a photo, I am wanting to make some modifications on my flat (upper flat, 2 flats in one building) is this a looped service in the photo? also how would I go about potentially moving the whole CU and meter is it DNO responsibility to update it?

Thanks for any help.

Looped service - flat IMG_0608.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I can do the work my side of the installation myself, obviously the 2 main incoming supplies can't really do anything with them and there is no point of isolation, only by breaking the seal to take the main fuse out, but I guess that is kind of a no no.

But if that other main supply is going to downstairs can't even take the main fuse out. Thats if that supply is going downstairs I need to investigate properly just looked now but its heading for the loft and out the top of the wall outside going down

if you have PME< you'll need to get the fuse out to open the earthing terminal. the loop to the other flat should not go through your main fuse. should loop in before the fuse. time to open wallet for DNO methinks. around £650 is trhe going rate.

Ive took earths from these type of cutouts before, you can "pierce" holes where shown, to access the terminals which are an Allen key type.

If you're in the upper flat, and there's a cable coming down to the cutout, then another going to downstairs, so the supply comes from above , then it may be a TT system. The cutout looks recent.....possible upgrade from TT to TNC-S?

Last edited:
Looks recently changed. So TNcs but no one installed any earthing to the circuits in the flat then

It’s an upper flat. The incoming cable 1 goes looks like downstairs to the ground floor flat and the other incoming supply cable comes from our loft space which then goes outside the roof space and clip direct to outside brickwork heading underground

Looks recently changed. So TNcs but no one installed any earthing to the circuits in the flat then

It’s an upper flat. The incoming cable 1 goes looks like downstairs to the ground floor flat and the other incoming supply cable comes from our loft space which then goes outside the roof space and clip direct to outside brickwork heading underground
Was probably an easier route to go, than going downstairs first.
The DNO will not put an earth to your equipment, they just provide the means of earthing, except in TT where you have to put in an earth rod, which yours may have been in the past?

What about the fact that downstairs property are on my main fuse? Will the DNO change that ? I am wanting to change the CU because the one at min has no room for additional circuits. But obviously not being able to isolate because of downstairs in a problem

Pulling your fuse will only isolate your flat, the power will still be available to downstairs.

as i said earlier. the supply cables will be looped below the OP's fuse.

Given the amount DNO's can charge for seemingly minor jobs i would look into whether its more cost effective to run a cable out side to a rod and make the system a TT as the fact the DNO hasnt made an earth provision makes me think it may well have been TT to begin with and its like trying to find a unicorn when asking the DNO for a earth to be provided on a otherwise healthy system.

Reply to Looped service - flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock