Discuss Looped Supplys...Black flat T&E.............. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been asked to advise on a rewire. I think on age alone it's advisable but the following points add to the argument.

Installation age approx 60 years.

This is a "forever Home" so although it may test ok how long will it stay so?

Black T&E throughout. Not a reason to condemn alone but adds to the case.

No lighting CPCs

The house is being knocked about and stripped for redecoration.

It's what looks like a looped supply as there are two TN-S incomers and only one fuse, sheaths linked via MET ??2.5mm ish main earth cable. Ideally I'd like a new supply as looking to move the CU, new meter, mains isolator. It's a simple under floor job to run so why not get the mains cable run direct to new CU location?

What disasters do the hive mind anticipate.

How can you advice on a rewire if no testing has been done?
Why not test and then advice accordingly.......

Black T&E is likely to be rubber at that age. No cpcs dates it to pre 1966. If they are having it as a forever home and are stripping every wall then I would advise to rewire for definite.
Ideal opportunity and saves headaches in the future.

I would advise a thorough inspection with possibly even 100% sample rate and particular attention to IR results.

How can you advice on a rewire if no testing has been done?
Why not test and then advice accordingly.......

For the reasons stated above, If everything tests ok what's to say it will be in five, ten years time? I'll look like a right prat, if after spending 20K fefurbing, things start to fail.

There is also the issue of pulling apart a 60 year old installation only to find all the insulation falls apart.

I do think sometimes it's ok to leave the MFT on the van and advise.

Love that line!

Lets just hope the customer has deep pockets .......

At 60 years I would strongly recommend a full rewire.

Mates rates so likely to be done on materials only as he'll be working on my extension. He's also doing most the chasing and underfloor work.

To NOT do a complete rewire would be a waste of money .............. and I'm guessing that they want more sockets, more lights, new kitchen ..... then there's the positions of the sockets etc

For the reasons stated above, If everything tests ok what's to say it will be in five, ten years time? I'll look like a right prat, if after spending 20K fefurbing, things start to fail.

There is also the issue of pulling apart a 60 year old installation only to find all the insulation falls apart.

I do think sometimes it's ok to leave the MFT on the van and advise.
Quite right, I would do the same, visual inspection is just as important, going with your eyes is everything.

Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone come across a looped mains supply, are there any load restrictions?

I've heard they're limited to 60Amps, is this true?

If it’s 60 years old and forever and they bashing it about anyway why would you not? Sell em some future proofing to:)

Reply to Looped Supplys...Black flat T&E.............. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock