Discuss LOSING MONEY WHEN WALKING AWAY FROM BAD JOBS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

By inserting this into your quotes should then make people realise that a fixed price quote isn’t possible.

If the customer isn’t happy about the clause then don’t take on the work ....

So I either do these jobs with this clause and customer understanding, or I don’t start. It’s that simple

But if it’s 1/2 hours work and necessary, I would probably do it as part of the job and not pick a fight with the customer ......

My terms state that rectification of any existing faults is not included. That's has always been suffice for quick to rectify faults. Surely you must have been in a position where you've done the pre inspections on a fuse board change and the circuits have that many issues that
By inserting this into your quotes should then make people realise that a fixed price quote isn’t possible.

If the customer isn’t happy about the clause then don’t take on the work ....

So I either do these jobs with this clause and customer understanding, or I don’t start. It’s that simple

But if it’s 1/2 hours work and necessary, I would probably do it as part of the job and not pick a fight with the customer ......
In my terms I do have ' rectification of any existing faults are not included'. This has been fine for quick and easy to fix faults but anything more than that I find allot of customers don't want to go ahead.

My terms state that rectification of any existing faults is not included. That's has always been suffice for quick to rectify faults. Surely you must have been in a position where you've done the pre inspections on a fuse board change and the circuits have that many issues that

If a decent visual suggests issues lurking I normally insist on an EICR - full or part to be done and paid for before the CU change

Again, if the client won't accept this, I won't get involved ...

I am definitely making it safer.

Just leaving it as is with no gas bond, no RCDs, not upgrading the tails and earth conductor isn't worth doing unless the water is bonded, so subsequently absolutely no part of it is made safer??

A consumer unit change will also often highlight potentially dangerous issues with an installation, so who knows what condition the installation is in because without a water bond being connected we won't find out (until the worst happens).

I totally get where you are coming from and you just want it right. For someone like yourself, I would say a better middle ground solution would be to do more investigation and even some testing at survey stage. It will take more time but you will know what you are in for if you then get the job and, on aggregate, should be better off in the long run with not having "no work days" with short notice.

I have this on ALL my CU changes and big quotes:

"NB: If problems are detucted during the fuseboard change additional work may be required. Such issues and associated costs will be discussed with you, prior to being implanted"

Never had the clause challenged, nor had any issues when additional work is required.
You obviously work in the rich suburbs around Woking and not on Goldsworth Park ;) PS Please don’t take offence if you live there :oops:

I totally get where you are coming from and you just want it right. For someone like yourself, I would say a better middle ground solution would be to do more investigation and even some testing at survey stage. It will take more time but you will know what you are in for if you then get the job and, on aggregate, should be better off in the long run with not having "no work days" with short notice.

If I can instantly see that there is no water bond and the customer refuses to have one (for the reasons previously stated) then no more investigation or any testing is necessary (I think you may have quoted the wrong person).

If I can instantly see that there is no water bond and the customer refuses to have one (for the reasons previously stated) then no more investigation or any testing is necessary (I think you may have quoted the wrong person).

If it was just remedial work then i think the customer would have been fine with that but there were too many issues that came up when inspecting the property. I was only happy to recommend a rewire which the customer wasn't in a position to do.

Like some others have stated, I always do a few checks prior to giving a quote to established at that least the basics are covered and also have it written on all quotes that it is subject to the existing installation being fit for purpose, that testing/investigation may find major electrical installation faults that will be quoted for separately.
I will normally put right small issues free of charge, however will inform the customer of these beforehand so that they are aware of work that I am completing.
I think in most cases if you explain the situation and gain the competence of the customer then it won't be a problem, there is without doubt always going to the odd one, but in all fairness when I first go and look at the work required I can pick up on if they are reliable to have the extra done or not.
I have walked away from work when they say that they aren't prepared to pay for putting right the issues I find on first visit for quote and make a point to them that any decent electrician will tell them exactly the same as me

The other issue about no bonding would be that the owner might feel that everything is ok now, and everything looks new, whereas with the old installation in place it keep the pressure on to have it done properly as everything still looks rough. You also never know if the person is just tarting it up to sell therefore leaving the new owner with a much less obvious danger.
Although in my opinion adding an up front rcd would probably be the happy medium if the regs were to allow it

The other issue about no bonding would be that the owner might feel that everything is ok now, and everything looks new, whereas with the old installation in place it keep the pressure on to have it done properly as everything still looks rough. You also never know if the person is just tarting it up to sell therefore leaving the new owner with a much less obvious danger.
Although in my opinion adding an up front rcd would probably be the happy medium if the regs were to allow it

The lady in question had spent a small fortune doing her house up and having lovely ceramic floor tiles fitted throughout the ground floor and I very much doubt she was selling it, and I'm sure she will have still have the same unsafe set up.

I am not specifically criticising the NICEIC because that's how it is, but regardless of what regs people point to, carrying out a full inspection of all circuits, fitting RCDs, upgrading the tails, main earth conductor, bonding the gas etc has to better than doing absolutely nothing because the water can't be bonded.

Let's hope doctors don't adopt the same criteria if I have a serious road accident (they could have revived me, but they wouldn't have been able to save my little finger so they let me die because they couldn't fix everything).

The lady in question had spent a small fortune doing her house up and having lovely ceramic floor tiles fitted throughout the ground floor and I very much doubt she was selling it, and I'm sure she will have still have the same unsafe set up.

I am not specifically criticising the NICEIC because that's how it is, but regardless of what regs people point to, carrying out a full inspection of all circuits, fitting RCDs, upgrading the tails, main earth conductor, bonding the gas etc has to better than doing absolutely nothing because the water can't be bonded.

Let's hope doctors don't adopt the same criteria if I have a serious road accident (they could have revived me, but they wouldn't have been able to save my little finger so they let me die because they couldn't fix everything).
I'm 100% with you on this one. This needs to be changed.

carrying out a full inspection of all circuits, fitting RCDs, upgrading the tails, main earth conductor, bonding the gas etc has to better than doing absolutely nothing because the water can't be bonded
True but there are so many ways to think about it. Maybe 9 out of 10 customers who refuse bonding would accept once they are refused to have any electrical work done whatsoever by 3 different electricians. Whereas if all 10 had the rest of the work done then none of them would bother. I think there's an element of bigger picture benefits as well, not saying it's always right but it's nothing like doctors there's no British standard for a human body

I'm 100% with you on this one. This needs to be changed.
True but there are so many ways to think about it. Maybe 9 out of 10 customers who refuse bonding would accept once they are refused to have any electrical work done whatsoever by 3 different electricians. Whereas if all 10 had the rest of the work done then none of them would bother. I think there's an element of bigger picture benefits as well, not saying it's always right but it's nothing like doctors there's no British standard for a human body
That is a fair point.

The water can be bonded. Its just the potential customer doesn't like any of your options. Earthing and bonding come first, then everything else?

Reply to LOSING MONEY WHEN WALKING AWAY FROM BAD JOBS in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net