Discuss Losing power to house post meter upgrade?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
got called back to a rewire I completed 5 years ago. Customer reported intermittent loss of power across the house. I have a swa sub main from a 63amp switch fuse to the CU. I have checked all terminations at CU and switch fuse . . . . all good. Have thrown thenmain switch 4-5 times to see if it is faulty but all seems good.

Customer has advised new meter was installed 5-6 weeks ago . . . Ive given tails a good tug to see if there is anything amiss, but nothing to suggest any issues.

Has anyone come across a faulty meter that could be causing the issue?

Thx in advance.

What's the duration of the power outages and how often has it happened? Is there any kind of pattern or do they seem random in their time of occurance and their duration? What did the customer do to get the power back on again?

2-3 mins. max 5 mins. outages are becoming more frequent . . . 1 or twice last week, now 2-3 times a day. no pattern that is obvious. customer checked mcbs, RCDs and nothing tripped. .. . power is reinstating itself. . . suggests loose connection or faulty component somewhere .

If you just want to prove it's not a warranty claim on your CU replacement I'd maybe install a temporary LED pilot lamp on fly-leads (with a small inline fuse) across the incoming supply at the CU. If the LED goes out when the next power fail happens then it indicates a meter or DNO fault.

Keep an eye on consumption ,some meters have overload shut off !

Really? Who installs those? Is that on usage or over-current?

With the OP's power coming back on,these meters must have a re-closing device,which is going to require a re-write of certain legislation...

Re-closing device,(... require a re-write of certain legislation...)
Sorry my mistake !
Good point , just putting overload protection hidden in new places out there .
--Cannot be the case today ,because they don't re-close ,without user action--
..and beep their head's off ..

Yep,i have a small issue with the metering job,at present,and have been involved in discussions with some R&D types,regarding the direction it is heading.

Some of the capabilities,these meters have,or could easily have,are prevented from being implemented,by current legislation.

This is not to say,in the future,that will not change...as with projects such as driver-less vehicles,and drone deliveries :(

Remote meter switching,is a DNO's nuclear option....but there are problems.

Any straightforward switching off,would require on-site presence,like,if you were there with the relevant authority,and access,and pulled the main fuse,then made safe.

To do this from "base",you would need to know the telemetry was working (mmm) you would need to know it applied to the correct device (mmm) you would also need to know the device could switch at OCPD maximum rating (well...) but,more importantly,you would need to be absolutely sure,that the 80 odd year old tenant,that you did not know was living there,was not either hooked up to her nebuliser,ventilator or EOL pain management system,OR,about to descend a straight and windowless flight of stairs...

Have no doubt,the second they have insurance/protocol/indemnity,in place for the above - it will happen.

...But as for having a re-closing device,capable of coping with multiple operations commensurate with the DNO's OCPD ....that is going to complicate a lot of fire/flood situations in properties :eek:

Joking apart, you did the work 5 years ago a meter change that you had nothing to do with 6 weeks ago, I think they called the wrong person out and who will you be billing, is it a smart meter by any chance?

Is it everything in the house going?
Are the neighbours having any issues?
Do the street lights also go out , if it goes off at night?

If it's a Smart meter the supplier should be able to remotely check if there has been a loss of incoming supply and / or a loss of outgoing supply from the meter.

Reply to Losing power to house post meter upgrade?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net