Discuss Lost or forgotten installation tips from the past! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Even after testing for dead in the proper fashion I don't think it's a bad thing to just give the conductor a gentle touch before grabbing it firmly.

Note, that's an electrical conductor, not a bus conductor. I'm not allowed to grab bus conductors firmly any more.
Especially after checking they're dead ;)

I worked with a bloke when I left School and started my Apprenticeship, who would, if he wasn't sure, if the circuit was dead ( no safe isolation in those days) touch the wire to the back of his hand, why the back I would ask, cuz your muscles contract when you get a belt, so the back of your hand is best. Go figure the logic. Bib and Brace coveralls with the ubiquitous Neon tester clipped in the top pocket, you weren't a Spark until you could carry a neon tester in your pocket with pride, he even had one in his jacket when he turned up at work in the morning, I wanted to be like him, hero worship I think it would be called these days. Funny how things change!!!!
I suppose today's equivalent to my Mate would be Thomas (Naggy) sorry Thomas couldn't resist, no offence intended,

Ringshank nail, sometimes refereed to as a screw nail by some, not by me though, never actually seen a screw nail, unless of course you are referring to a screw that your screwdriver wont work on. so you transgress and belt it with a hammer:tongue:
Screw nail has a type of thread its used to increase the holding strength of the nail.

Different thing. Rings shanks have concentric rings, but there are nails with screw threads also. Have a Google if you don't believe me.

Different thing. Rings shanks have concentric rings, but there are nails with screw threads also. Have a Google if you don't believe me.

Pretty sure that's just a different way of getting rings on the shank. I don't think they're designed to be used any differently.

Still just a nail either way :p

You need to Google it. They do exist. I'll have a tenner on it.

A tenner on what? There being a product that is called a 'screw nail'? No way - I know there are!

But it's still just a nail. There is no hybrid that works as both, in both directions.

It's uni-directional screw, get used to it :D:p:D
It's not! You try turning that f***** into a timber without drilling a hole first and then tell me its uni-directional!

Anyway, I said I had time to argue this point as I had a day off. Well it's clocking off time now, so the day off is over. As such I have a steak to cook and some wine to guzzle. Go try and convince someone else of your wonder-screw/nail :D

So do I get me tenner? Feel free to use the optimistic button.

So many euphemisms so little time - even DPG with annular! Priceless!
You can get threaded nails, ie a nail with a screw thread but a plain flat head for knocking in with a hammer. Haven't seen any for years but I think they were supposed to drive in and grip better than annulars.

Reply to Lost or forgotten installation tips from the past! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock