Discuss Low voltage halogen lamps set to be banned from next year in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RWJ

-
Arms
Reaction score
Low-voltage halogen lamps are to be banned from next year under draft legislation drawn up by the European Commission, Lux magazine can reveal

12V MR16 lamps are the workhorses of retail, commercial and, increasingly, residential lighting and millions are sold every year in the EU.

But under Ecodesign legislation, ‘poor performing’ versions are to be phased out from next year.

Better-performing versions, such as those with infra-red coatings, will follow by 2016.

The law sets out a series of minimum performance measures, including lifetime, output in a 90-degree cone and efficiency, which will effectively mean that low quality lamps – often Far Eastern imports – will be excluded from sale in the European Union from 2013.

The phase-out is part of the Ecodesign legislation, which led to the phase-out of incandescent lamps in recent years.

Paul Hodson of the directorate-general for energy is currently consulting with peers before publication of the final draft.

Lamp makers are said to be concerned with the new performance metrics, the timescales of the ban and supplies of IRC capsules.

SOURCE: Low voltage halogen lamps set to be banned from next year | Lux Magazine

all this "Green stuff" costs the consumer and makes the electrician recomending the work out to be the baddy as he cant fit equipment that doesnt comply
BTW Anyone in edinburgh looking for 100w gls lamps theres a shop on leithWalk has a big load for sale

Be careful when using IRC lamps they have a high temperature in the capsule of about 400 Deg C. Most downlights are only suitable (Painted to withstand temperature) for standard lamps which burn at 220-250 deg C (50W halogen). It doesn't take long for the IRC's to discolour the paint and sometimes paint weld the bezel to the fitting, making lamps almost impossible to remove once blown. This can cause costly call backs and very red faces, as one set of specifiers had when I explained the issue after investigation.

"increasingly, residential lighting"

Well if that's the case I better get my gas safe stuff sorted out because gas based lighting must be making a come back too

2016!!! Thats a long long wait for such a popular lamp.
So im going to be stocking up as much as possible to keep clients happy than putting in for a blanket lamp change when the new ones come in. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Just experimenting with some LED GU10s and MR16s which use surface mounted diodes. They give a better light than the lens types. So far no failures, some of the GU10s are 3W some 4W depending on the number of diodes. The MR16 are 1 or 2 W. They are all warm white, approx 3000K. Just trying them at home first, we have loads of this type of lighting in every room. So far I think that this is the future of lighting. The electric meter has slowed down a lot too.

Reply to Low voltage halogen lamps set to be banned from next year in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock