Discuss Lower Ze reading than expected in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
On a job today and when testing got a Ze of 0.03 ohms on a tncs. Using a Kewtech 64DL.

Installation has main fuse in hallway outside the 2 bedflat then a switched fuse feeding a submain cable to the actual CU. I did Ze at both immediately before switched fuse and in CU with earth disconnected each time. Both times got 0.03 ohms even with the submain cable running 6 metres.. given the MFT;s have a margin of error this is a pain, I have checked the tester on a calibration box and it measures 1 ohm fine. it looses half an ohm at 100 ohm reading on loop test according to calibration box.

Zs@DB is 0.12 ohms... only utility feeding the property is a district heating system with metal pipes running through building into ground and heating building next door, these pipes are 4 inch diameter into building and around floors into water re heater boiler by flat entrance. the water is fed via plastic pipes. so would provide a very good parallel earth

The building is just over 2 years old and is just up road from the transformer.

Due to low Ze i am also getting funny and varying PFC PSCC readings which would if readings are correct then i have a very high lpf..... Have attached some images to explain better... Am wondering if leads might be playing up? MFT is only a month old out of the box... might use the R2 lead to add some extra resistance then take it off values when i go back tomorrow.
Any thoughts?

Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_145319 - EletriciansForums.net Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_145328 - EletriciansForums.net Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_153702_HDR - EletriciansForums.net Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_153755 - EletriciansForums.net Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_153900 - EletriciansForums.net Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_154135 - EletriciansForums.net Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_154311 - EletriciansForums.net Lower Ze reading than expected 20170914_154926 - EletriciansForums.net

Yes main earth was disconnected as it entered switch fuse enclosure, its shown in the image coming from cutout to the 16mm bolt where it joins the submain cable that feeds CU in flat. i disconnected it here to do Ze and then reconnected and did Ze again in the consumer unit with it disconnected from earth bar.

Last time I had that with a Kewtech 65dl was 0.03 Ze. I spoke with Kewtech tech. and they pointed out of course that is + or - 6 digits which it does say in the manual. I questioned it because apart from the high pfc the DNO had just installed a new cut out and testing with a megger they got 0.11 As kewtech said well if you add on 6 digits you are at .09 which is nearly the same as the DNO. So make what you will of that. All I can say is when you are measuring hundreths of an ohm things get a bit indistinct. And yes the sub station was within a hundred yards.

Last time I had that with a Kewtech 65dl was 0.03 Ze. I spoke with Kewtech tech. and they pointed out of course that is + or - 6 digits which it does say in the manual. I questioned it because apart from the high pfc the DNO had just installed a new cut out and testing with a megger they got 0.11 As kewtech said well if you add on 6 digits you are at .09 which is nearly the same as the DNO. So make what you will of that. All I can say is when you are measuring hundreths of an ohm things get a bit indistinct. And yes the sub station was within a hundred yards.
Well it should be better outlined or resolved by kewtech, in this case the flats im working in are only 100m from the transformer that feeds the development. its possible there is another sub unit in under the building that splits off to each meter or within the underground carpark.

Well it should be better outlined or resolved by kewtech, in this case the flats im working in are only 100m from the transformer that feeds the development. its possible there is another sub unit in under the building that splits off to each meter or within the underground carpark.
Does it comply?

Looking at the 9.69kA PFC your Ze is even lower if you do the maths, around 0.023 ohms.

As long as the breaking capacity of the OCPD are good then no problem.

However the variance Kewtech claim raises ones eyebrow a little...

0.03 ohms is below 0.35 so complies but my lpf is over the breakers at 6ka are no good if we are going by the regs... think its 432 something off top of my head - might be wrong.. im getting varying pfc and pscc readings even with tails held in croc clips rather than probes.... only difference being i press the test button again! ; i suspect either the MFT is not reading correctly or within its margin of error.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost here - what measures at 0.12 ? And then you get impedance dropping to 0.03 when you go further from the cut out into a flat? Can you explain again, cheers.

Sorry, I'm a bit lost here - what measures at 0.12 ? And then you get impedance dropping to 0.03 when you go further from the cut out into a flat? Can you explain again, cheers.
sorry .. 0.03 ohms is Ze measured at both the switched fuse and again in the flat , each time having the earth disconnected, the first time at Switched Fuse and the Second at the earth bar so really Ze@db. the 0.12 ohms is Zsdb in the flat... which i would expect to be higher given the large metal pipes that feed the heating system across the development which are linked into the earth bar with a 10mm earth cable.

In work we have nearly 20 MFTs so could justify buying the Megger test box, cracking bit of kit that gives us the option to test loop impedance. I have to say all the Meggers and Metrels we have are always within range. The Flukes can be a little more temperamental.

I don't think we'll be buying Kewtech in the near future...

Keep in mind I've now started pain killing rituals here, but I'm lost again. I got 0.03 as Ze measuring L-E with the earth dis from the board, but why does it rise to 0.12 when the other bonding is included?
In work we have nearly 20 MFTs so could justify buying the Megger test box, cracking bit of kit that gives us the option to test loop impedance. I have to say all the Meggers and Metrels we have are always within range. The Flukes can be a little more temperamental.

I don't think we'll be buying Kewtech in the near future...
Mine works perfect, always has, always will . Hang on, just gotta go sacrifice a fatted lamb or summat.

Keep in mind I've now started pain killing rituals here, but I'm lost again. I got 0.03 as Ze measuring L-E with the earth dis from the board, but why does it rise to 0.12 when the other bonding is included?

Mine works perfect, always has, always will . Hang on, just gotta go sacrifice a fatted lamb or summat.
I thought the 0.12 was the Zdb not the Ze???

I was harf way thru that post when this joyous IT device posted it. B thing has a mind of its own, maybe that's a good thing ..

are your leads okay? might sound stupid but I got in a right muddle with my KT63 last week! was testing sockets in a house and getting 0.73 zs on one socket, then on others on the same ring stupidly low readings like 0.03 and massive kA!!!! I would have thought dodgy leads should have increased the reading but for some reason it didn't! cracked out some fresh leads and everything stabilised and all sockets tested near enough the same at 0.73....

with the substation so close though its entirely possible that it isn't reading too far off!

okay 0.03 ohms is the Ze i get whether i test Ze at CU or the switched fuse as its technically origin... the 0.12 ohms is ZSdb which given the flat is serviced by huge metal pipes for the district heating which are bonded its got a parallel path of some substance! the heating system has a boiler type thing which is fed by the pipes and if i run a continuity test on the boiler pipes i can connect to one next door in their cupboard and get a beep.
If it helps anybody understand i have had copies emailed to me from the original install certificates by the owner. back then they only got a Ze of a 0.11 and the Zs values for circuits are pretty much what i got today, maybe a fraction out in some cases. if you look at the Zs values they are all quite low. so i suspect the flat has never had much of a Ze to begin with.if i do a PFC or PSCC pluged in at the sockets i get more sensible readings but at the CU they are all over.
i have blocked out the cert number to stop cowboys copying for fakes...

View attachment cert1.jpeg

View attachment cert2.jpeg

Reply to Lower Ze reading than expected in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock