Discuss Lutron rania dimmer problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been asked by a customer to look at a lutron rania dimmer. The problem is when switched on the lights flash light a strobe light all over the room. Spoke to lutron they believe that it overcurrent so I split the room lighting and still have same problem. Anyone come across this before because not worked on lutron kit.

easiest way is test by substitution. bang on a suitable dimmer and if it cures the problem, lutron maniac is duff.

Undercurrent and overcurrent can cause dimmers to flash. Is the dimmer running at less than half it's rated wattage?

The installation has 11 x 35w lights which is 385w but lutron has suggested it's a problem with overcurrent, to be honest never touched the kit so don't know any of the problems with it. Read the installation guide and can't see any problem which what the previous electrician has done the switch has been installed for less than a month and only recently started doing this.

what's the rating of the dimmer. it needs to be 700watt for that load of halogens.

with halogens ( GU10s) the dimmer needs to be overrated by a factor of at least 1.6. not quite sure why, but that's what i have always understood.

I don't have it to hand but I have a hamilton brochure and i am sure it says to derate the dimmer by 20 or 25 % .so that would mean a 400w dimmer could switch between 300 and 320 watts of halogens.

Mains voltage tungsten – full rating
Transformer fed loads, allow 10% de-rating,
Thats how I nor work them out? have some of the 35w been replaced with 50w? or are they mr11 lamps
I would be looking at the transformers first!

Whats the difference between leading and trailing edge? I haven't actually installed any of the kit just been called in to sort it out along with other things someone else should have done right. Must sound like a right melon never touched the stuff and hopefully i never will again there's no decent installation guides or troubleshooting and the technical help line are no help.

first replace the dimmer with a cheapish plastic one. if that don't cure it, transformers. they are not all dimmable.

I've pulled a couple down and they were dimmable going to go back tomorrow and take everything down and check it, i've got a copy of installation guide and programming so i'll reset the switch and change it to ELV operation if necessary the kit might just be faulty.

We do a lot of Lutron installs although not this stand alone kit , most of the problems we encounter are do to incombatabiliy of kit or intergration
I would think this is proberbly a tranny problem .

If it's not the tranny's then prehaps overload , they make an ELVI booster for about a £100. loads up to 1000w , and I think they will be compatible with the Rania stand alone units

Reply to Lutron rania dimmer problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net