Discuss MacBook users please comment in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mark_Burgess

Ok chaps, I want a long battery life laptop to use on site when filling out PIR or EIC directly rather than writing down and transferring later as we all know time is money.

Option 1,
I either get a little Samsung N220 and use it just for site work, and slap my current 15" laptop about until it starts working properly again and stops playing up to continue use as a desktop?

Option 2,
Do I (and please convince me to) get a 13" Macbook, install Parallels and stick windows within it to use for certification software?

If any of you do use option 2, how well does it run through Parallels and whats best to use in it, XP, Vista, Windows 7?

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

if you intend to download data from a multi function tester then I would suggest you stick with windows XP.
MAC is incompatible and has no built in serial port. Vista and W7 are both not very serial port friendly.
A MAC book is fine for photo editing, word processing, music, ... (I've got one myself) but for tasks with
other peripherals than a printer or scanner not very suitable.

If you want to fill in forms with a MAC - I run the contractors pack on a MAC, this works fine and is 100%
compatible with windows. Hope this will help.:rolleyes:

Yep, i run Macbooks and are brilliant for everything except anything electrical related :D

I've got a macbook pro.. Battery life is amazing. It still does about 2 1/2 hours even with an old battery with apparently 60% health.

BUGGER THOUGH!!

I didn't realize that there's no OSX versions of manufacturers testing software. Humph!

Plus, I've always been reluctant to install windows on my mac.. Surely this is defeating the object of having one?

If you do, do you have to fill it up with anti-virus stuff like with a PC?

Since I've had this computer there's been no trouble at all with viruses and the like.. that's 3 years now and it still runs pretty much the same as it did out the box.. No virus software or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the samsung is a good bet...

Probably cheaper? I don't know...

I would say though, if you do, keep it away from the internet, full stop.

We had a dedicated music PC when I was producing tunes and we did the same.. It worked a treat.

When internet is involved, eventually things go ----. (like the other 15" computer you got by the sounds of it)

I suppose you'd need the internet to update operating systems and such, but then if you get it nailed in the first place then there's no point in fixing something that ain't broke.

Cheers Colin,

These new Macbooks are good for 10 hours apparently, and I am thinking of having just a small partition with windows on it to run a few programs that are not mac compatible, and never going on the web in microsoft mode.

Good to hear yours is still going so well after all that time, this damned windows one has had a new hard disc and 3 installs and is still like and old amstrad!!

Macbook Pro FTW!!! :D

MacBook users please comment {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I've got a macbook pro.. Battery life is amazing. It still does about 2 1/2 hours even with an old battery with apparently 60% health.

BUGGER THOUGH!!

I didn't realize that there's no OSX versions of manufacturers testing software. Humph!

Plus, I've always been reluctant to install windows on my mac.. Surely this is defeating the object of having one?

If you do, do you have to fill it up with anti-virus stuff like with a PC?

Since I've had this computer there's been no trouble at all with viruses and the like.. that's 3 years now and it still runs pretty much the same as it did out the box.. No virus software or anything.

No need to fill the Mac up with antivirus, these viruses attack the operating system like XP, Vista etc etc. So whatever you are running on the Mac ( I have OSX snow leopard) isnt affected by these viruses, and therefore any software you use is unaffected as well. Not that Macs are immune but there own antivirus stuff is good enough.

No need to install Parallels if you but one of the new macs with the intel processor you can just use boot camp and dual boot. That way it will boot purely in windows rather than emulate using more memory.

If you use windows however, you will still need anti-virus as only the Mac osx is less prone to viruses!

The only down size is the cost of a Mac compared to a windows machine. For site use I bought a Samsung N140 Netbook, has Windows 7 and 8 hours battery life. Also cost £220 so I am not too worried if it gets dropped.

If I was buying the Macbook I would buy from somewhere like Comet and put their accidental cover on it. Although it costs around £250 you only need to drop it once for it to have paid for itself.

It has been shown that the mac os is the most vunerable to viruses, but as it has such a small market share it rarely has viruses wriiten to attack it.

edit: its late and I should of said that the mac is seen as fairly vunerble in general, not just viruses which it is pretty good on.

Last edited:
A few frinends of mine have Macs and only one had a problem which was the battery was an older model Mac but other than that everybody said teh MacBook is great and love it.
i have been helping my brother with looking for a new Laptop and the macs for what they provide do look good

Reply to MacBook users please comment in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock