Discuss Magic switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Has anyone else come across what the police called a magic switch. A friend who rented out his flat found one when he evicted tenant who was growing special plants. I won't say how they done it, but they bypassed the meter and put in a normal light switch in between meter and cu so could choose when to have meter reading electric. Until you took front off the cu you wouldn't even notice it.

I have seen one at a farm that previous tenant had used for growing it was on a 3 phase and about 10m of 25mm tails going to a single phase cu with 2 main switches one at each end! Turn one off and the other one on and bingo at the other end it came out do a block before the distributor cut out and was difficult to spot. The thing is the doggy supply and the real supply where on different phases so if both where switched on at the same time bang!

As far as I could see from the pictures he showed me yep a normal switch. The earth bar was connected to the neutral at main switch, then only a 2.5 mm cable was going to switch with main neutral also going to switch. Didn't get to see it first hand. Don't know how it didn't blow.

Round our way,they just come off tails by self-tapping a link direct to cable,presumably with an insulated cordless...Also the dudes in the "plant" job,don't switch meter as if the meter reader is in the building,the meter is NOT what he will be noticing...

wonder what muppet fitted that. it's a bloody abortion. and i don't mean the bypass, the whole CU is a mess.

I have seen much worse than that, okay it is pretty carp, especially as all cabling is crimped with yellow lugs regardless of the conductor size lol, but although tatty, I would say it was just carp and no more, I am suprised you guys have not seen anything worse than that, one board I looked at once had 18" of slack on every conductor and the cover would bearly fit lol, this comment does not include the appalling neutral conductor crimped from a 25 mm2 down to a 2.5 though lmao hilarious

I have seen much worse than that, okay it is pretty carp, especially as all cabling is crimped with yellow lugs regardless of the conductor size lol, but although tatty, I would say it was just carp and no more, I am suprised you guys have not seen anything worse than that, one board I looked at once had 18" of slack on every conductor and the cover would bearly fit lol
Ha ha, perhaps he was planning on replacing it again lol.

Ha ha, perhaps he was planning on replacing it again lol.
lol, probably, looking at the db again here I am amazed the earth is in that neutral terminal mind, pretty crazy really, must be bob from the pub who fitted it.

Reply to Magic switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock