Discuss Main bondage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

that's how i.ve always understood it. pity david cockburn is banned. he'd have had some theory about martians, no doubt.

Well It's all pretty clear then as usual, 0.05ohms is either a max resistance end to end resulting in A maximum length of 27m for 10 mm cable or its some resistance between exposed/ extraneous conductive parts or possibly something to do with 50 volt touch voltages….…I'm so glad the science is well known and tested…wow isn't it great to be an electrician where most of the time your just makin it up cos no one knows what's going on…I thought it was just me … wow we're all shi;t at it incredible…

THAT IS A PERFECT EXPLANATION I wish everyone could understand this
This is my take on it after a phone call to a much more knowledgeable friend.

The 0.05 value is BETWEEN simultaneously accessible extraneous parts, i.e. a gas pipe and a water pipe next to each other. Take for example this was the case, but each pipe was bonded separately back to the MET. Then the two would have to cross bonded.

The figure of 0.05 is not the value that needs to be achieved from the MET to the bonded extraneous part.

The 0.05 ohms has nothing to do with the value of the bonding conductor at all, it or any other measurement you will be able to work out the length of any size cable, so once again nothing to do with the bonding conductor max value.

Well It's all pretty clear then as usual, 0.05ohms is either a max resistance end to end resulting in A maximum length of 27m for 10 mm cable or its some resistance between exposed/ extraneous conductive parts or possibly something to do with 50 volt touch voltages….…I'm so glad the science is well known and tested…wow isn't it great to be an electrician where most of the time your just makin it up cos no one knows what's going on…I thought it was just me … wow we're all shi;t at it incredible…

I'm sorry I've read that and all I can think about is the poor gramma,

is there a point to these tedious ramblings ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly..no.

This thread had potential to shed some light on a poorly understood issue that a lot of people(including me) an take a lot from. I thought that my post (although I cannot take full credit from it, as I said, I had to 'phone a friend) gave all the explanation neded.

I will reiterate for clarity.

The 0.05 value is the value below which potential difference should be, between simultaneously accessible extraneous conductive parts. Example of which is a gas pipe and a water pipe next to each other. Test between the two.

Even if both are 10mm bonded individually back to MET, if the difference between the two is greater than 0.05 then they need to be bonded to each other.

The 0.05 figure is not a value to be achieved between MET and bonding point taking into account the value of resistance of the cable.

That is how I understand it, of course, I am open to other more enlightened people's wisdom.

Regards.

Yes there is Boff, it seems to me there is a failure to communicate, so tell me Boff what or where does the 0.05ohm come from and what is it related to?

That is spot on, hit the nail on the head
Sadly..no.

This thread had potential to shed some light on a poorly understood issue that a lot of people(including me) an take a lot from. I thought that my post (although I cannot take full credit from it, as I said, I had to 'phone a friend) gave all the explanation neded.

I will reiterate for clarity.

The 0.05 value is the value below which potential difference should be, between simultaneously accessible extraneous conductive parts. Example of which is a gas pipe and a water pipe next to each other. Test between the two.

Even if both are 10mm bonded individually back to MET, if the difference between the two is greater than 0.05 then they need to be bonded to each other.

The 0.05 figure is not a value to be achieved between MET and bonding point taking into account the value of resistance of the cable.

That is how I understand it, of course, I am open to other more enlightened people's wisdom.

Regards.

Never, I will never grow up and you can't make me Boff, so there ya cheeky little monkey…as an aside I wonder what that 0.05 ohms might mean?

Boff, you may not understand this, but there are sticks and some of them are for throwing but unfortunately Boff these sticks are not stones and will not break my bones.

Reply to Main bondage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock