Discuss Main Earthing Conductor and Earthing System question. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I’ve measured various values for ze for both tns and tncs, in a career as an electrician that has upto now lasted 19 years, what I can conclude is that there is NO typical value at all.
I’ve measured 0.10 ohms for tncs, measured 0.15 ohms for tns, I’ve also measured 0.30 ohms for tns, and countless other values.

If I had to take a guess I would guess a 0.21 reading is more likely to be a TN-S than a PME.

I’ve measured various values for ze for both tns and tncs, in a career as an electrician that has upto now lasted 19 years, what I can conclude is that there is NO typical value at all.
I’ve measured 0.10 ohms for tncs, measured 0.15 ohms for tns, I’ve also measured 0.30 ohms for tns, and countless other values.
Seriously?
19 years and you don’t know the standard or typical values for Ze?

Please explain what ypu mean by “PME conditions”?
PME (Protective Multiple Earthing) is used where a network is configured as TN-C (earth and Neutral combined).
It’s primary purpose is to keep the difference in potential between the combined earth and neutral and the general mass of the earth as close to zero as possible.

One of the ‘conditions’ associated with PME systems is that neutral current from other installations will be present on earthing and bonding conductors in a particular installation.
Hence the requirement for larger CSA bonding conductors.

Older networks configured as TN-S are being changed to TN-C.
Whilst installations may be presented with TN-S, the bulk of the network is TN-C with PME.

When conducting a periodic inspection on an installation which is presented as TN-S, the Inspector should determine whether PME conditions apply and whether the CSA of bonding conductors is adequate.
One method to determine this is to measure the Ze.
A Ze close to or below the typical value for a TN-C-S system would suggest PME conditions apply.
A further test would be to compare the values for PSSC and PEFC.

Last edited by a moderator:
PME (Protective Multiple Earthing) is used where a network is configured as TN-C (earth and Neutral combined).
It’s primary purpose is to keep the difference in potential between the combined earth and neutral and the general mass of the earth as close to zero as possible.

One of the ‘conditions’ associated with PME systems is that neutral current from other installations will be present on earthing and bonding conductors in a particular installation.
Hence the requirement for larger CSA bonding conductors.

Older networks configured as TN-S are being changed to TN-C.
Whilst installations may be presented with TN-S, the bulk of the network is TN-C with PME.

When conducting a periodic inspection on an installation which is presented as TN-S, the Inspector should determine whether PME conditions apply and whether the CSA of bonding conductors is adequate.
One method to determine this is to measure the Ze.
A Ze close to or below the typical value for a TN-C-S system would suggest PME conditions apply.
A further test would be to compare the values for PSSC and PEFC.

This is a great copy and paste describing why a TNC-S is not always a PME.

It still does not explain how a TN-S can have ‘PME conditions’.

This is a great copy and paste describing why a TNC-S is not always a PME.

It still does not explain how a TN-S can have ‘PME conditions’.
Not sure whether I should be flattered or insulted, that you believe my post is copied and pasted?
When taken into consideration with the fact that you deliberately misconstrue it’s intent, I can only assume it’s a puerile attempt at insulting me.

In any event, I have attempted to educate and inform you, as per your request.
I suggest you either take it on board, or remain in blissful ignorance.

Almost every time an underground joint is made it is earthed, often by just burying bare conductor but sometimes by a rod with (often bare) conductor crimped to it. A tns supply that has had multiple joints will have multiple earthing points so you can be presented with a supply that looks like tns but has Protective Multiple Earthing along it's route

Not sure whether I should be flattered or insulted, that you believe my post is copied and pasted?
When taken into consideration with the fact that you deliberately misconstrue it’s intent, I can only assume it’s a puerile attempt at insulting me.

In any event, I have attempted to educate and inform you, as per your request.
I suggest you either take it on board, or remain in blissful ignorance.

I am honestly not trying to insult you. Not at all.

However all you have posted is the reason why a TNC-S is not always a PME.

It goes nowhere near explaining when a TN-S has PME conditions.

What it does say is that sometimes when presented with a TN-S it may actually be a PME. But this is not a TN-S then is it?

Almost every time an underground joint is made it is earthed, often by just burying bare conductor but sometimes by a rod with (often bare) conductor crimped to it. A tns supply that has had multiple joints will have multiple earthing points so you can be presented with a supply that looks like tns but has Protective Multiple Earthing along it's route

Would those joint earths be linked to the neutral?

This is better than Jeremy Kyle. :)

I was told by one DNO engineer, I could convert 'my' TNS supply at a property to PME (i.e. do it myself), 'cos its probably been 'PME'd' in the street, or down the road somewhere anyway.

Didn't take up the suggestion.

Reply to Main Earthing Conductor and Earthing System question. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock