Discuss Main fuse keeps burning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi we are currently located in Nairobi, Kenya and have UK 240V.

We have a problem that the fuse in the main fuse box keeps burning. Each time we replace the fuse it lasts roughly a month. We have seen that the burning to the wire is on the inlet side of the fuse.

The house doesn’t have many power hungry appliances the maximum being a 6000w power shower.

We don’t know what the cause of this issue is. The Kenyan power authority is saying we need to upgrade to 3 phase meaning extra power lines but we don’t believe we are drawing so much power that is necessary. Any other theories?

It's probably down to you using more juice than is allowable.
Lots of Dare I say 3rd World countries (no insult intended) have such a poor electrical infrastructure that many Domestic premises are limited in what they can use.
Funnily enough I had the same problem in the USSR when I was living there, plug an electric heater in when the District Central Heating went ----- up and bing out went the Electric as well, difficult to hide a fire and call out the Sov Electric Board to replace the fuse.

The meter box itself says 80amp but before the meter box the fuse box and wire keep burning I think the Kenyan power authority put a 63amp fuse inside and this is the picture of the box that burns. Sometimes the fuse doesn’t burn just the wire and wire casing

CBB92E1D-C2EC-420A-8946-4A9F0007E178.jpeg

Sounds like either poor connections or a continued heavy overload causing the fuse to get very hot but not blow. A clamp meter to measure the current drawn would give a good indication, you could also add up the wattage of the appliances in use to give an indication. If you have air conditioning the power can soon add up.

I have a 60A cutout fuse in my house and in my previous house, I have done some really stupid things involving heavy overloads and have not blown the fuses.

My concern is that the OP has said the fuse keeps burning.
The picture shows what appears to be a cartridge type fuse holder.
The OP then says the fuse and the wire keeps burning.
The OP also says, sometimes the fuse doesn’t burn, just the wire and the casing.
I believe clarification is required.

Good point, can the OP clarify re cartridge fuse or fuse wire.

I’m thinking 60A fuse, 40A load and a cable (wire) rated at 20A.
Cable melts, conductors touch, fuse blows.
Sometimes the conductors don’t touch and the fuse doesn’t blow.
Perhaps all that’s needed is a larger cable from the supply fuse to the CU/DB?

I'm having a serious case of deja vu!

I'm re-opening the thread with the irrelevant content removed.

Please keep it on track and please remember that if you don't like the attitude being displayed by someone report the post to the staff... don't get involved in a protracted war of words that does nothing except create unnecessary friction.

And if you can't respond in a polite, professional way, then simply don't respond... move along to another thread.

As was pointed out, the war of words that erupted in this thread is one reason new members may not stick around because they don't want to be subjected to the kind of childish confrontational attitude that was on display here.

Have they checked for a loose connection? Sounds strange that it would be burning under normal circumstances. Or has someone tapped off your supply somewhere? Unlikely I know, but possible

We have a problem that the fuse in the main fuse box keeps burning. Each time we replace the fuse it lasts roughly a month. We have seen that the burning to the wire is on the inlet side of the fuse.

The house doesn’t have many power hungry appliances the maximum being a 6000w power shower.

We don’t know what the cause of this issue is. The Kenyan power authority is saying we need to upgrade to 3 phase meaning extra power lines but we don’t believe we are drawing so much power that is necessary. Any other theories?
UK power in Kenya, that's a clever trick.

That appears to be a series 7 cutout, the same as used over here in the UK. The most common cause of overheating is either a loose connection within the cut out ( They use 3mm hex screws) or you are drawing excessive current.
Here in the UK you cannot do any work on the cut out unless you are authorised to do so, you should contact your electricity distribution company to check this for you.

Last edited:

Reply to Main fuse keeps burning in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net