Discuss Main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q

QSGAZ

I know this will be an easy question for one of you, but i do industrial and commercial.
Dads asked me to fit a new DB for him, how do i go about removing the main fuse in his house to isolate the board, can i just snip the security tag off and pull the fuse or i have got to get supply board out to redo the tag?

Search the forum for information. I’m not putting my neck in the noose by telling you to remove the fuse. Even though it is for your safety, but if it’s a cast iron head leave it alone and call the DNO.

Ring the DNO and ask them to come and fit a double pole isolator for you, then you will be able to safely isolate the supply without touching any of there equipment. It is usually quite cheap to have this done.

Ring the DNA and ask them to come and fit a double pole isolator for you, then you will be able to safely isolate the supply without touching any of there equipment. It is usually quite cheap to have this done.

Really, ...It should be free of charge, it's for there benefit as well as the home owners!! Not only that, your paying a quarterly rental fee for the DNO's installation, which should include updating etc!! Think how much that rental fee has added to the DNO coffers over say 20 or 30 years?? As i say... they should be provided and fitted free of any charge, your paying for the dammed things through your electricity bill!!!!!

I know this will be an easy question for one of you, but i do industrial and commercial.
Dads asked me to fit a new DB for him, how do i go about removing the main fuse in his house to isolate the board, can i just snip the security tag off and pull the fuse or i have got to get supply board out to redo the tag?

Technically you are not permitted to remove or interfere with the DNO equipment....that said I have heard tales of unscrupulous electricians cutting the seal and removing the fuse due to the alledged impossibility of getting anywhere with the DNO. The Horror. Couldnt possibly condone such abhorrent behaviour.

Do bear in mind that changing a CU will also come under the dreaded part P and will need to be registered with BC.

Really, ...It should be free of charge, it's for there benefit as well as the home owners!! Not only that, your paying a quarterly rental fee for the DNO's installation, which should include updating etc!! Think how much that rental fee has added to the DNO coffers over say 20 or 30 years?? As i say... they should be provided and fitted free of any charge, your paying for the dammed things through your electricity bill!!!!!

Scottish Power are 82 quid i think? or there abouts. But fully agree with it should be free (although your rental should actually cover it).

Ring the DNO and ask them to come and fit a double pole isolator for you, then you will be able to safely isolate the supply without touching any of there equipment. It is usually quite cheap to have this done.

Depends where you stay scottish power want £150 hydro you follow a laid out procedure and all is cool

sounds like ive hit sore point with you domestic sparks ha, how do i go about contacting buiding control and how much will this cost me? i thought it would of been straight forward how wrong i was.

According to a meter changer.... some of the DNO's are now examining whether they can actually fit Isolators BECAUSE....they are the other side of the meter and therefore the consumers installation, and therefore also subject to Part P, and the DNO's aren't signed up to Part P.

According to a meter changer.... some of the DNO's are now examining whether they can actually fit Isolators BECAUSE....they are the other side of the meter and therefore the consumers installation, and therefore also subject to Part P, and the DNO's aren't signed up to Part P.

That is ridiculous, they are a law unto them selves. So how do we carry out a DB change correctly then, order a meter changer for the day to cut then re seal afterwards?

Nope, we go back to the good old days where you had a few spares in the back of the van.

Edit: But only for those of us with the brains and time to know when not to.

Last edited:

Why doesn’t this surprise me.

They’ve found a bit of legislation that normally they would ignore. But as it could save them a fortune they want to apply it and hide behind it.

dont agree with the part of the bit about being after the meter, its still the DNO's property it will be sealed on the incoming side i assume and thus labled up with 'it is an offense to remove this seal', it is just an extension of their cutout like the meter and wont fall under part p because the home-owener dosn't own it.
With respect if you fitted a D/P isolator then ask the DNO to tail into it from meter then yes it then is under part p, owners property.

WPD is around £36 for an isolator

Your supplier can fit these too, get a price off them and make your choice

If your cutout is an old iron clad jobbie then ask them to change it and whilst they are there they should fit you an isolator if you're generous with the tea and biccies

when you guys say "iron clad" do you mean these sort of things....
K3vvEqpx.jpg

What is the problem with them? I hear somewhere they contact asbestos, is this true?

btw. According to a conversation I had with them a few days ago SSE allow part P registered sparks to cut the seals as long as you inform them first. Apparently they just note it on their record to be re-sealed when they next visit.

Is that red/blk going into the meter and brown/blk out?

Eon fitted an isolator for me free of charge a few weeks ago. UP TO the supply terminals of the isolator is now theirs and load terminals onward is mine.

British gas fit them for £39 and that includes upgrading on there side upto the incoming of the isolator new digi meter if needed etc whichever or all is done for £39 and the isolators that are fitted by them are sealed on the incoming side

Never mind the asbestos, that probably has a re-wireable fuse link.
Get the DNO in to change it. Pronto!

The amount of asbestos contained in a re-wireable fuse carrier is miniscule. This whole thing has blown up out of all proportion.

when you guys say "iron clad" do you mean these sort of things....
View attachment 11952

What is the problem with them? I hear somewhere they contact asbestos, is this true?

btw. According to a conversation I had with them a few days ago SSE allow part P registered sparks to cut the seals as long as you inform them first. Apparently they just note it on their record to be re-sealed when they next visit.
can i contact asbestos?.....got her number....she sounds like a right stayer.....

Reply to Main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net