Discuss Main isolation by local REC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wrap the conductors like I was taught years ago, no conductor shift will happen. Good terminations can be enclosed in cardboard with no risk.

I think there is some sort of middle ground with conductor csa where we think Mmm this is going to work loose, say from 10mm to 35mm and this is solely down to the type of termination, as has already been said the two terminal tunnel connection which you no longer see is by far the most efficient. This was not only seen in CUs but also 45A switches. Connections no longer cater for this middle ground and we are left worrying unlike the 630mm 6941AX I made off last year, never lost a wink of sleep.

The requirement now is for CUs and similar switchgear assemblies to comply with BS EN 61439-3.
If it doesn’t comply, then it can’t be fitted irrespective of the material the enclosure is constructed from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the pre-privatisation days of electricity boards, we started fitting isolators on new supplies. Before that the supply would be installed, then we as inspectors would go and fit the meter after testing installation, and fit fuse. Fitting the isolator meant the jointer could fit the meter and fuse, with isolator fitted with a plastic seal and labelled to say that when the seal was broken the electrician took responsibility for the installation. Probably 15th edition in force then.

The requirement now is for CUs and similar switchgear assemblies to comply with BS EN 61439-3.
If it doesn’t comply, then it can’t be fitted irrespective of the material the enclosure is constructed from.

And there in lies the problem with the regulations....

Define 'similar switchgear assemblies'. If the definition is based solely on assemblies that are designed to comply with that standard (and thus have been typed tested to ensure conformity), then as best as I can tell REC2S does not constitute 'similar switchgear'.

The reason I say this is because I've been unable to find any statement that REC2S complies with this standard (or any other for that matter).

So knowing that no such statement of conformity exists you go ahead and install one inside a dwelling house... the unthinkable happens. A fault occurs in the isolator, the case catches fire and someone is injured or dies as a result. How would you defend your decision to fit one given there appears to be no statement that it complies to any relevant standards (other than the fact the isolators comply with BS EN 60947-3)?

Déjà vu

upload_2018-2-16_10-25-55.jpeg

I'm saying nothing!

Ooohh all right then, Sparkychick have you fitted that particular isolator before? I installed a similar one in a switch fuse format, and it was a bit of a pig to connect up. Think I'll be tempted to fit the Wylex metal one, if that's what's required.

DNOs fit plastic isolators because they are normally fitted in meter boxes.
They don’t allow metal items in meter boxes because it increases the risk for DNO operatives working on the live supply if there is earthed metal in close proximity.

A fault occurs in the isolator, the case catches fire and someone is injured or dies as a result. How would you defend your decision to fit one given there appears to be no statement that it complies to any relevant standards (other than the fact the isolators comply with BS EN 60947-3)?
if that's the case will leave a fire extinguisher next to the c/u, and a bag of plasters .

For information; when the 18th draft was available for public comment, I did leave a comment against 421.1.201, requesting clarification over the definition for 'similar switchgear assemblies'.

I'm sure that must of stopped the committee dead in their tracks, choking on their morning coffee & chocolate hobnobs. Power to the people.

Alternatively, they probably just thought, knob. :)

Thick moment what's REC??

The standard isolator used by WPD is the Wylex REC2S. It's a Wylex 100A DP isolator switch to BS EN 60947-3 contained in a three part plastic case. The base and two top caps, one of which is smaller and has the capability of being sealed with the standard DNO wire seals.

They come in various flavours, but the REC2S is the common one in domestic.

Déjà vu

View attachment 40810

I'm saying nothing!

Ooohh all right then, Sparkychick have you fitted that particular isolator before? I installed a similar one in a switch fuse format, and it was a bit of a pig to connect up. Think I'll be tempted to fit the Wylex metal one, if that's what's required.

I've got a couple of Wiska tail glands, so I'm going to cut a hole in the body that pretty much lines up with the holes in the glands. Guidance and strain relief in one go.

But thank you for the heads up. It is a concern as the enclosure is somewhat compact :)

The standard isolator used by WPD is the Wylex REC2S. It's a Wylex 100A DP isolator switch to BS EN 60947-3 contained in a three part plastic case. The base and two top caps, one of which is smaller and has the capability of being sealed with the standard DNO wire seals.

They come in various flavours, but the REC2S is the common one in domestic.
Thanks SC every day is a School day, cheers Teach

Reply to Main isolation by local REC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net