Discuss Main switch help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I could be wrong Bradley, but as an Apprentice would an explanation of how an RCD works be of any help? Do you know the difference between an MCB now known as a CB and an MCCB? they are two different Animals. Are you undertaking any Training courses ? I ask because if you are then gaining acess to the training area would be of value to you, plenty of like minded Guys and Gals in that area, along with some very good mentors with years of experience. You could try posting for access to this area.

I could be wrong Bradley, but as an Apprentice would an explanation of how an RCD works be of any help? Do you know the difference between an MCB now known as a CB and an MCCB? they are two different Animals. Are you undertaking any Training courses ? I ask because if you are then gaining acess to the training area would be of value to you, plenty of like minded Guys and Gals in that area, along with some very good mentors with years of experience. You could try posting for access to this area.
I know how they work never come across this type of breaker before and not had much to do with earth leakage relays thanks

If that earth leakage relay trips the mccb then yes earth leakage protection has been added to it.

The earth leakage relay would connect to a shunt trip or undervoltage release fitted inside the mccb.
The sensing for the earth leakage relay is done by a type of current transformer which surround all live conductors and this measures the earth leakage.

The below pictures show the current transformer around all live conductors (the white ring) and the shunt trip on the side of an mcb, this particular unit is a 125A TPN socket outlet.
The bottom of the enclosure is full of water as the pictures were taken to record flood damage.

655DEB9C-3D0D-4F3E-B532-13092EBC1D0A.jpeg C6564F6F-3B53-4DDA-9DDB-7C42AA368FE4.jpeg

If that earth leakage relay trips the mccb then yes earth leakage protection has been added to it.

The earth leakage relay would connect to a shunt trip or undervoltage release fitted inside the mccb.
The sensing for the earth leakage relay is done by a type of current transformer which surround all live conductors and this measures the earth leakage.

The below pictures show the current transformer around all live conductors (the white ring) and the shunt trip on the side of an mcb, this particular unit is a 125A TPN socket outlet.
The bottom of the enclosure is full of water as the pictures were taken to record flood damage.

View attachment 42535 View attachment 42536
Thanks for that so say I put it on test report I’d put 60947-2 160A but would you put anything else if earth leakage was added eg

Is there any underlying reason to your original question @Bradley6969, are you just curious here or is there an issue you have been asked to address/look into?
Just curious came across it the other day and never had anything to do with earth leakage relays before like I came to this and looked at test report and was unsure if you put over current for this distribution circuit obviously 60947-2 160A but added leakage if you put any associated RCD

Thanks for that so say I put it on test report I’d put 60947-2 160A but would you put anything else if earth leakage was added eg
Your profile says/indicates you have nil electrical qualifications, why would you feel confident or competent in issuing an electrical report?

Reply to Main switch help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net