Discuss Mainly for the more aged Forum Members in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been reminiscing through the Red wine mist, and it took me back to October 1962, for the younger Members, the Cuban Missile Crisis (I urge you to watch "13 Days" Kevin Costner film).

It was a time when the West nearly came to blows with the Soviet Bloc using Nuclear Missiles, or Armageddon as it would have been.

I can remember vividly where I was at this time 18 going on 19 scared whitless, just wondering if other Guys have memories of that time in our history? the Politicians of that time on bothsides did the world a big favour, if you don't know the history get hold of the film and watch and see how lucky you are to be living today.

I was thinking today about JFK ,its a good thing the man stud up to the red skis its a shame he's dead .we had a mad man think he could take over the world ,not forgetting the Nipponese and one man bear hugger from redskies flexing his mussels ,one word n**.

Year before I was born Pete but like you my parents remember it well. V bombers on standby. Scary stuff! Now days we’re probably being manipulated by the net.

I wasn't around in the 60's, but I bet it was a better than living in the second half of the 40's.

I remember the 80's fondly as a kid... The stuff going on in the news then didn't really sink in.
Now we've got ISIS, north korea and putin being difficult.

I worked on an RAF base, and they do have fighter jets on standby all the time, even now.

But then you have to remember it was triggered by NATO also building a missile site in Turkey. The Russians retaliated by basing missiles in Cuba.

A member of the American cabinet at the time said that some General's were in favour of an all out nuclear war. Yes they would loose the Eastern Seaboard but ultimately they would obliterate Russia from the map.

But then you have to remember it was triggered by NATO also building a missile site in Turkey. The Russians retaliated by basing missiles in Cuba.

A member of the American cabinet at the time said that some General's were in favour of an all out nuclear war. Yes they would loose the Eastern Seaboard but ultimately they would obliterate Russia from the map.
Typical Americans shoot first and sxd the consequenses

Nobody would win in a Nuclear conflict, MAD Mutual Assured Destruction.

Nobody would win in a Nuclear conflict, MAD Mutual Assured Destruction.
Well that was what Kennedy and his Chief of Staff McNamara thought. They realised a diplomatic solution was the only answer. Robert Kennedy actually advised JFK to privately acknowledge that they would dismantle the Turkish missile sites a year later.

Their own military were talking about taking casualties in the millions but the end justified the means. They believed that there would be enough of an American population left to claim a victory. These Generals were the Hawk of Hawks.

Reply to Mainly for the more aged Forum Members in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock