Discuss Mains Bonding??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

ldworks

I recently was testing a flat and found that the 6mm Mains earth to water was not accessable but the valve for incoming is so may be able to test from board to incoming for a result but do Elecsa officials want to actually c the bonding position as its one of the assessments for elecsa??I changed the board and done all the other testing but this problem.Do i just note it down or try from incoming valve and if result im able to use that?

For my Elecsa Assesment although the bonding was there, because it was inaccessible and not visible at water mains I was required to ensure it was accessible and visible and had to provide proof this was done before gaining my access to the scam that is Part P

Hope this helps

I recently was testing a flat and found that the 6mm Mains earth to water was not accessable but the valve for incoming is so may be able to test from board to incoming for a result but do Elecsa officials want to actually c the bonding position as its one of the assessments for elecsa??I changed the board and done all the other testing but this problem.Do i just note it down or try from incoming valve and if result im able to use that?
i take it you mean bonding :confused: what earthing system you got there :confused:

Its MEB.I have access to the gas incoming but gonna have to hunt for the water incomer as ive got it at the board but cant find where it goes!!!If im unable to find it do i take a reading from accessable water pipe or put it as unaccessable on test sheet?Just ive never come across an installation where its never been found!!

Its MEB.I have access to the gas incoming but gonna have to hunt for the water incomer as ive got it at the board but cant find where it goes!!!If im unable to find it do i take a reading from accessable water pipe or put it as unaccessable on test sheet?Just ive never come across an installation where its never been found!!
is the earthing system tns, tncs tt :confused:

What my Elecsa assesor told me was if you can't see it then treat it as it's not there

have you done an adiabatic on it firstly to prove is size as it probably needs upping to 10mm anyway :confused:
what size tails and main earth have you got :confused:

Flukey has posed some questions for you

If as you say,you are using this install for your assessment,you would be advised to give more information
on the installation type and your reasons for retaining the existing bonding

The visible connection of that bonding is then another matter

i would do a r2 long lead test if resistance is low 0,02 ohms , i would then code it a 4 does not comply but is safe. providing its correct size.

have you done an adiabatic on it firstly to prove is size as it probably needs upping to 10mm anyway :confused:
what size tails and main earth have you got :confused:

Can't use the adiabatic for a main protective bonding conductor has to be selected from 544 p134.

The cable is a 6mm but i believe the new regs say it has to be in 6mm but if only a board change surely u should not have to upgrade earthing to 10mm?so basically i have to find it or put new one in?

6mm might be fine depending on what type of system you have.

For TN-S or TT systems the csa of main protective bonding conductors must be a minimum of 6mm and not be less than half the csa of the main earthing conductor. 544.1.1

For a PME system the csa of the main bonding conductors must not be less than that given in Table 54.8 ie a 10mm protective bonding conductor for a neutral conductor of 35mm or less. 544.1.1

The cable is a 6mm but i believe the new regs say it has to be in 6mm but if only a board change surely u should not have to upgrade earthing to 10mm?so basically i have to find it or put new one in?

6. Main earthing and bonding and
meter tails
6.1. The installer must verify, as a minimum, that:

a) the main earthing terminal of the installation is
connected to an adequate means of earthing
via a suitably sized earthing conductor,

b) the main protective bonding is adequate, and

c) the meter tails and the distributor’s equipment have adequate current-carrying capacity.

6.2. If any of conditions 6.1 (a), (b) or (c) is not met, the
customer should be informed that upgrading is required.
If the customer refuses, the installer should not proceed with the replacement of the consumer unit.

From the ESC Best Practise guide :D

Can't use the adiabatic for a main protective bonding conductor has to be selected from 544 p134.
my point entirely, thats why i asked him what earthing system he has, what size his tails are etc because from his info his main earth must be 10mm ;)

its a bit of a daft question really if its for an assessment, upgrade it to 10mm and get it to the correct position, no point setting yourself up for a fall :rolleyes:

if i was your assessor i would be expecting 25mm tails (100A) 16mm earth and 10mm bonding, if not i would be looking very closely at all other areas :eek:

Last edited:

Reply to Mains Bonding??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock