Discuss Mains box to Consumer unit SWA or tails? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I've finally found some of the pictures i was looking for earlier. This job was done in early 2015 so had a completely legitimate plastic CU fitted.

This is what I mean about the flush box behind the CU
Mains box to Consumer unit SWA or tails? IMG_1985.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

And this is the supply end in progress, I can't find any pictures of it finished but you get the idea, and the KMF is the right way up!

Mains box to Consumer unit SWA or tails? IMG_1907.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I've finally found some of the pictures i was looking for earlier. This job was done in early 2015 so had a completely legitimate plastic CU fitted.

This is what I mean about the flush box behind the CU
View attachment 37374

And this is the supply end in progress, I can't find any pictures of it finished but you get the idea, and the KMF is the right way up!

View attachment 37375
Ferrous box with live and neutral going through separate holes?

Edit going through timber or something else rather? thought I'd caught you out dave :)

no shroud on SWA covering the brass locking nuts .

Why would you fit a shroud over brass locknuts?
What advantage does the shroud offer on a CW gland?
There was a discussion on another forum which concluded that the shroud was unnecessary so j didn't fit one.

Terminate the SWA into a metal flush box behind the CU

Yes,as I explained (and you later posted pictures of yours) that is exactly what I have done on many occasions

I never terminate swa without a shroud,having said that,we never used to fit any sort of shroud on Pildwa cable, so other than corrosion and maybe looking better,your later statement about not fitting shrouds had me scratching my head for a good reason to disagree

My last thought about not using a shroud is that Pyro always looks abysmal if it does not have one

My last thought about not using a shroud is that Pyro always looks abysmal if it does not have one

Presumably you are talking about sheathed pyro?
That is where it started on that job, it was all bare pyro apart from the SWA submain, so to keep it consistent with the brass pyro glands and bare copper cable I didn't fit a shroud on the brass SWA gland.

That's why I never take photos of any of my work (not that any of it is worth photographing), certainly not post them here to get ripped to shreds. But it just goes to show that even ardent professionals can get things wrong. While we're on that subject, where's the core identification of the grey & black cables, and cable not terminated and those terminal screws aren't aligned.

Absolutely shocking :). Now NO FFO

That's why I never take photos of any of my work (not that any of it is worth photographing), certainly not post them here to get ripped to shreds. But it just goes to show that even ardent professionals can get things wrong. While we're on that subject, where's the core identification of the grey & black cables, and cable not terminated and those terminal screws aren't aligned.

Absolutely shocking :). Now NO FFO

I often take photos as a record of what I've done and as a reference for future jobs. I have no issue with my work being criticised here, I could learn something.

What you can't see so well is that there isn't even a service cable, cutout and meter in the box yet, it's just not good enough in my opinion.

HI all,

usually take tails form a MEB box to consumer unit no matter what the length as long as i can get the 50mm depth, builder has told me he wants it in SWA, ive told him its pretty much impossible to terminate it right if i use SWA also i run up the cavity with the tails and there is no way i can get SWA up there so will have to run inside up the wall which i hate doing, what do you guys do if using SWA??

Cheers
Grand

Nonsense opening statement/comment and then 4 pages!

I often take photos as a record of what I've done and as a reference for future jobs. I have no issue with my work being criticised here, I could learn something.

What you can't see so well is that there isn't even a service cable, cutout and meter in the box yet, it's just not good enough in my opinion.

I was joshing with you davesparks. I praise anyone posting pics of their work. I wouldn't. :)

Reply to Mains box to Consumer unit SWA or tails? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock