Discuss Mains isolator query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A fellow electrician wants to install a 100A isolator switch between the meter and cu. Is it correct that this also has to be metal as per 3rd ammendment. The wylex rec2 is plastic so does it need to be changed.
Of you could share your expertise please.

you don't need to put in a isolator in front of another .reason that if say DNO would put one in in case of upgrading a consumer unit .with out getting the fairy's to pull the fuse .
He said that as he is swapping the cu for a new one he may as well put one in so he does not have to do as you say pull the main fuse. But does it nee to be metal?

A fellow electrician wants to install a 100A isolator switch between the meter and cu. Is it correct that this also has to be metal as per 3rd ammendment. The wylex rec2 is plastic so does it need to be changed.
it's a grey area.some say yes, some say no. regs. are unclear. read here. post #15 is relevant.
Main isolation by local REC - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/main-isolation-by-local-rec.136348/#post-1357748

no, if he is changing the cu then yes. but if the get the seal fairy's in . why bother putting in a upfront isolator .
to make the next CU change easier for a 1 day wonder, which is how short the course will be in 25 years.candidates will sit in a quiet room and be treated to a Vulcan mind blend, where all knowledge of electrickery will be transferred. live long and prosper.

an isolator is not required per se, but it makes life easier for CU changes when the snowflakes won't cut seals and pull a fuse. Or, perish the thought, cut meter seals and pull tails out live

Would it be classified as similar switchgear under 421.1.201 ?
I don't believe that it can be said to be a similar switchgear assembly to a DBO to BS EN 61439-3. (For a start it provides no overcurrent protection.) That's my personal view and I feel confident arguing it, although others may not concur with my view and are entitled to hold their own view on it.

So an update: to settle our discussion i contacted the technical dept at stroma. And they confirmed that sn isolator even in a domestic installation with just a 100amp dp switch does not need to be metal, it is an anomoly under 7671. However good practice you should use a metalic one.

So an update: to settle our discussion i contacted the technical dept at stroma. And they confirmed that sn isolator even in a domestic installation with just a 100amp dp switch does not need to be metal, it is an anomoly under 7671. However good practice you should use a metalic one.
told you post #5. I could have saved you the phone call .

Reply to Mains isolator query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net