Discuss Mains wired smoke / heat / CO detector question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

On the face of it there's no requirement to swap out a perfectly good distribution board. It may not be the very latest but is still fit for purpose and a very good make.

As for smokes/heat/Co detectors etc as I'm guessing yours is a private property then there's no requirement for mains powered devices although they are my preferred option.

Has the electrician mentioned membership of any scheme such as NICEIC/STROMA/NAPIT etc?

I would seek quotes from another two electricians, if you know anyone that could recommend one then great if not post up a rough location then I'm sure a forum member would be close by and able to quote for you.
How can you tell from the photo whether the consumer unit is made out of metal??

CU is moving about 6ft up the wall it's currently fixed to, mains cable runs up the same wall.

We've not anticipated any circuits being extended as the current rooms already have lights, sockets, oven etc. circuits in them. There will be some moving of wiring but doubt there'll be additional circuits needed. There are 3 spare module slots in the current CU if that makes any difference.
So why is the consumer unit being moved up the wall?

Hi There,

New to the forum and come across this. I am not an electrician but a builder and relating to your query regarding the smoke/heat detectors I can only tell you this.

When we've been completing any works regarding new extensions, alterations or conversions (in most cases for us this is extensions and alterations for installation of new kitchen/diner areas) the requirement has always been to install a heat detector in the kitchen area, smoke detector in dining area and interlinking smoke detectors to the rest of the property (this is to be mains fed with a battery back up).

The referencing for these requirements can be found within 2 areas Approved Document B (B1) and forms part of Part P (10.2.2 (specifically (c)&(e)).

I have always been queried by prospective clients on this issue, to show them that I am not pulling the wool over their eyes and trying to charge more, I keep 2 specific guides with me at all times these are:-

IET On-Site Guide BS7671:2018.

IET Electricians Guide: Electricians guide to the Building Regulations.

They are a quick go to guide for the clients to see what is expected.

On another note, Regarding moving the CU 6ft higher, my only concern is the fact that it is being moved to a location above a fridge (I assume either a tall unit or at least a fridge freezer), would you consider moving it to another "Local" area where if there are any issues the CU can be easily accessed. Imagine this fridge on fire, no way of isolating and when the fire service turn up and start squirting water they're going to adding water to area with a Live CU above it, just saying.

Thanks for the input guys, very much appreciated. Builder has said he's checked with building inspector and the inspector wants to see minimum 2 x mains wired smokes. The heat and CO he's not bothered about apparently. Weird!

The cost associated with moving the Consumer unit is at the interpretation of the electrician based on his governing body and he's not changing his mind on that. He still says we need a new gen-18 metal box.

Sounds like building inspectors have there own interpretations as I'd been given advice from LA building control that wired mains detectors weren't required. The builder is using a private building inspector company.
so -called "governing bodies" do not make the regulations. the IET do. these are in BS7671, and you need to get this electrician to bring his copy and show you the regulation that says he's got to replace the CU. he'll never find it, as there isn't one. then tell him to FO.

so -called "governing bodies" do not make the regulations. the IET do. these are in BS7671, and you need to get this electrician to bring his copy and show you the regulation that says he's got to replace the CU. he'll never find it, as there isn't one. then tell him to FO.
Out of curiosity what certificate would you complete for the CU move ?

Out of curiosity what certificate would you complete for the CU move ?
strange one here.no new circuits, so EIC not necessary. all circuits modified, if extended them MWC for each altered circuit, or.....

hit it with a hammer. if it still works, it's ok.

Minor Works:D
No , not Minor works.EIC ,because when you move it you have to isolate ,disconnect ,move it reconnect and energize after testing making sure everything works perfectly and by regulations.
You cannot reconnect anything back which did not comply with the regs or not working properly initially before you moved the CU.
Therefore you have to issue the EIC after completion.

No , not Minor works.EIC ,because when you move it you have to isolate ,disconnect ,move it reconnect and energize after testing making sure everything works perfectly and by regulations.
You cannot reconnect anything back which did not comply with the regs or not working properly initially before you moved the CU.
As posted I was joking.

Therefore a amendment 3 consumer unit would be required

I think the spark in question is quite in his right to insist on one he’s the one going to be putting his name to the certificate if the homeowner isn’t happy with this he has the option of using another spark with a different of opinion

As of now it seems that the Scottish government has decided that detectors with 10year tamper proof units can be used ( as the unit only comes with a 5 year warranty it’s crazy) this is in all rentals and also required in domestic by 2021

I got email off government to confirm this is the case , was talking to a supplier of said detectors today and was told they are flying off the shelves, seemingly as long as they are interlinked don’t need a spark to fit them , madness a step backwards I recon

AC915788-E3E6-49F0-9149-78537A62973F.png

The bit about wired detectors having to be fitted by a spark and occurring an extra cost reads to me that any one can just buy them and stick them up no dought literally with double sided sticky tape

0EBE6285-F5C7-48E6-94E5-C387719B1076.png

Reply to Mains wired smoke / heat / CO detector question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net