Discuss Maintance free /junction boxes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilson12

-
Trainee
Reaction score
hello a customer has bought procelin connector blocks for lighting connections above the ceilings.
I know you should use maintance free or junction boxes but can’t quite explain why is there a regulation or safety reason why to do this .

if they are accessible ( e.g.through the cable entry hole in the ceiling) then they need not be maintenance free, but should, however,be enclosed.

It is because the old junction boxes with the brass screws did tend to come loose perhaps through thermal creep, over time. Therefore they had to be maintained by tightening or re-terminating cables ends into the termination points. Hence they could not be buried in walls (not that that has stopped certain people from burying them!) or inaccessible. Also bare singles i.e. not sheathed, should be contained for safety regards electrocution. I.E. someone pokes a conductive part under the floorboards and touches an exposed terminal, so must be enclosed.

I haven’t got my BYB to hand but if you search for accessibility or maintenance free you should be able to find the reg.

He knows a bit about electrics it’s more as a returned favour.
What I’m wondering is he has got the procelin connectors and electrical tape how do I explain to him to use junction boxes or maintance boxes instead of connections free just wrapped in tape is there a reg or reason not to do it poorly like that

Basic insulation must be in an enclosure (526.8), and strain relief must be provided for cable terminations (526.6).

Connector blocks in tape will not comply with either.

Wagos and similar are the better option but connectors are perfectly acceptable as long as they are correctly rated, in an enclosure of some sort and are accessible

Reply to Maintance free /junction boxes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net