Discuss Maintence Free JBs (MFJBs) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just read an interesting article in Octobers "Professional Electrician and Installer" (PE&I). Probably going to get my --- ripped to shreds over this, "You should have known better Pete"

How ever many of you now use Wagos, I don't cus I'm retired, according to the article and I quote "" It's important to note that the connectors and the enclosure do NOT qualify on their own as Maintenance free accessories, This is because an Accessory is defined as the whole equipment and may comprise of two products-the connectors and the enclosure-both have to be certified for use together, and installed according to the manufacturers instructions"".

It made me think of how many Domestic Electricians put these Wagos in a, say for example a CU extension box and call it Maintenance free, or in an adaptable box under the floor? made me think, what do you lads still on the tools think, am I making something out of nothing? shall I just shut up and drink the red stuff,? or am I onto something?

I await the backlash of abuse but I don't give a damn

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Wagos my favourite subject. Now then !....They are not MF, you may notice Hager are the ones who stymied wago from being so with regs, no less as they have a significant pull on what gets into the regs. I think Hager want to get into the market with an MF product unless they already have. They must, as the regs say bear the vaunted MF mark to be maintenance free. Wago have been trying to get that for years but have been stymied by vicious market forces. Just look at the beginning of the regs and the people involved in producing the regs.
So they are not maintenance free, I use them all the time I just dont make them inaccessible but really speaking they are imho.

But wago connectors enclosed in a wago box do classify as MF as they are designed to work together?
Absolutely HT my thoughts are what about those Wago connectors that are not in Wago boxes, and have not been deemed as MF accessories.

Ah Wagos my favourite subject. Now then !....They are not MF, you may notice Hager are the ones who stymied wago from being so with regs, no less as they have a significant pull on what gets into the regs. I think Hager want to get into the market with an MF product unless they already have. They must, as the regs say bear the vaunted MF mark to be maintenance free. Wago have been trying to get that for years but have been stymied by vicious market forces. Just look at the beginning of the regs and the people involved in producing the regs.
So they are not maintenance free, I use them all the time I just dont make them inaccessible but really speaking they are imho.
I don't disagree, without having to get hold of my copy of BS7671 which is somewhere in my junk can you please enlighten me on your post observations. Please

Crikey I get my post edited for not swearing, I need to get a life and curse a bit more

526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following:

1. (i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
  2. (ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
  3. (iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
  4. (iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
  5. (v) Joints or connections made in equipment by the manufacturer of the product and not intended to be inspected or maintained
  6. (vi) Equipment complying with BS 5733 for a maintenance-free accessory and marked with the symbol https://electrical-standards.------.org/Images/PWR1703E/images/InlineReaderImage/wreg_symbol_logo7.png and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

My point is, unless the connectors and enclosure are marked as MF then they aint MF according to PE&I, we all need clarification on this, apart from the guff 7671 dishes out, it's not rocket science someone in the hierarchy needs to clarify, in words of 4 syllables so us mere mortals can understand, no scientific claptrap plain friggin English, crikey I nearly swore.

My point is, unless the connectors and enclosure are marked as MF then they aint MF according to PE&I

Does that mean then, by extension, ANY equipment that needs to meet a required BS, if they're are not marked with the relevant BS number, they don't comply?

Does that mean then, by extension, ANY equipment that needs to meet a required BS, if they're are not marked with the relevant BS number, they don't comply?
Well read the article, or my quote as it is verbatim and form your own opinion Archy.

My opinion for what it is worth a MF accessory will incorporate MF connections and will comply with BS5733 (as stated in post 7) and BSEN60670-22. Wago connectors such as the 222 range comply with BS5733 and as long as the enclosure they are contained in is suitable and provides cable restraint I would say it complies. I would not consider the enclosure alone a accessory.

Crikey I get my post edited for not swearing, I need to get a life and curse a bit more

Wagobox Junction Boxes in Grey - Pack of 6 - https://www.connexbox.com/wagobox-junction-boxes-in-grey-pack-of-6.html

These enclosures are MF compliant used in conjunction with wago 222 and 773 connectors.

Hager make MF junction boxes such as the J803 and J804 Technical Properties J803 - http://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/wiring-accessories/junction-boxes/maintenance-free-junction-box/maintenance-free-junction-box/j803/42141.htm

Technical Properties J804 - http://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/wiring-accessories/junction-boxes/maintenance-free-junction-box/maintenance-free-junction-box/j804/47145.htm?Suchbegriffe=j804

All the above offer strain relief to the cables/connections and compression terminals rather than screw terminals which wouldn't be MF compliant.

A few months ago I had a bit of to-and-fro with WagoFolks to understand what they had actually certified MF now.
Tin Hat On and Here goes : 2 types of Wago connector are currently certified as MF (BS5733) and ONLY when enclosed in their MF marked Wagobox. That's the 222 and 773 connector ranges. And only if the connectors are all lined up nicely in the retaining area of the Wagobox. And the current ratings change for MF as well. This is because they give them a real hammering in the test. The 773.104 is MF rated at 20A and this is ok for extending 2.5mm 32A RFC (from Reg 433.1.204) when used in the MF marked Wagobox. So that's what I use when I want MF. It doesn't mean other combinations of adaptable boxes or back of CUs won't work, it's just they were not used during Wago's certification tests. I hope that helps. Cheers, David.

Haven't got a copy and can't find it online.
Try and pick one up tomorrow.
It's just an advertising rag anyway, so I take any articles with large pinches of salt!
Oh OK thanks Archy, I spent 10 frigin mins writing that post

A few months ago I had a bit of to-and-fro with WagoFolks to understand what they had actually certified MF now.
Tin Hat On and Here goes : 2 types of Wago connector are currently certified as MF (BS5733) and ONLY when enclosed in their MF marked Wagobox. That's the 222 and 773 connector ranges. And only if the connectors are all lined up nicely in the retaining area of the Wagobox. And the current ratings change for MF as well. This is because they give them a real hammering in the test. The 773.104 is MF rated at 20A and this is ok for extending 2.5mm 32A RFC (from Reg 433.1.204) when used in the MF marked Wagobox. So that's what I use when I want MF. It doesn't mean other combinations of adaptable boxes or back of CUs won't work, it's just they were not used during Wago's certification tests. I hope that helps. Cheers, David.
Thanks Wilko, appreciated

Circumventing the swear filter is still just swearing. Please don't waste the time of moderators who's time is better spent helping members, rather than keeping them in check. :)

It must bear the MF mark or it aint Maintenace free. My friend had annual visit from Torquemada of the old NIC who went blue in the face when he found out he had used wago in a high (inaccessible) location. He told him where to get off !
I am looking at a 773 right now cant see MF mark though

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a fine pic of a 3X2.5mm jb - built from all MF marked or certified Wago bits. But the end result is not MF. That's cause I couldn't fit CPC into the end containment of the box. Ha. Only good thing was I worked it out before Inspector.

Maintence Free JBs (MFJBs) IMG_0322.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Maintence Free JBs (MFJBs) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock