Discuss Major or Minor Works? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andybenw

Hi,

I have had 3 phase cut-out and meters for 3 flats moved from my cellar to outside meter cabinet. Sparky has installed switch fuses and around 15 metres of SWA for each flat to relink to old supply point. Work looks decent so I am not disparaging said sparks work. I have a query though.

He is describing this as minor works as no new circuits have been added. Is this correct?

Cheers in advance, Andy.

New cable, new switch fuses, new routes, new origin position.... yep, 3 new distribution circuits. A minor works cert will not be sufficient, an installation cert is what is required and notification to LABC.

Last edited:
Can't understand how this can be minor works, so what Andy said.

I did suspect that Andy. I assume he should notify the work and issue me with an EIC with the caveat "new installation of switch fuses and cable only, Periodic Inspection recommended"

I should add the flats are not anywhere near 17th edition with 1970's 3036 fuseboards.

I have, but by cheque which I could stop if need be.
I strongly suggest you do not do that, the work has been done and to a standard of your satisfaction, why don't you speak to him face to face like a man and not a coward who goes on forums suggesting things like stopping his cheque because someone you have never met suggested it. The guy has a family I suspect and yet you want to stop his cheque even though your happy with the work due to a certificate, talk to him and resolve it the dignified way for god sake geez.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem Murdoch. I agree it is perhaps open to interpretation hence me asking the question. He is a member of Elecsa and able to notify. He has promised me a minor works certificate. If the balance of opinion on here is for notification I shall query him about it.

I would point out that notification and type of certificate are not related.

Even if considered not notifiable you should still get an Electrical Installation Certificate and Schedules of Inspection and Test Results.

I strongly suggest you do not do that, the work has been done and to a standard of your satisfaction, why don't you speak to him face to face like a man and not a coward who goes on forums suggesting things like stopping his cheque because someone you have never met suggested it, I don't like people like you, faceless slimy little person. The guy has a family I suspect and yet you want to stop his cheque even though your happy with the work due to a certificate, talk to him and resolve it the dignified way for god sake geez.

MDJ. Very abusive. I am simply gathering information prior to speaking to the man. As present I have not been issued with any certification. I had to raise the issue with him just prior to him leaving, and it was only then that he promised to send me a minor works certificate.

Do you not agree that I should arm myself with information prior to contacting him?

I would point out that notification and type of certificate are not related.

Even if considered not notifiable you should still get an Electrical Installation Certificate and Schedules of Inspection and Test Results.

Thanks for the answer Geoff. So you are on the side of EIC and not minor works?

MDJ. Very abusive. I am simply gathering information prior to speaking to the man. As present I have not been issued with any certification. I had to raise the issue with him just prior to him leaving, and it was only then that he promised to send me a minor works certificate.

Do you not agree that I should arm myself with information prior to contacting him?
I agree you need to talk to your spark about issuing the correct certification, coming on a forum talking about stopping cheques even though you are happy with the standard of work is what got my goat up, apologies for the soapbox bit, I have calmed now, just have a chat to him in a friendly manner, say you insist on a Electrical Installation Certificate and I would think he will come around to your demands as the customer, regarding the Minor works,I must admit he sounds a bit of a ---, but if the work is good then the only concern is certification and stopping payment isn't the right way forward IMO.

I agree you need to talk to your spark about issuing the correct certification, coming on a forum talking about stopping cheques even though you are happy with the standard of work is what got my goat up, apologies for the soapbox bit, I have calmed now, just have a chat to him in a friendly manner, say you insist on a Electrical Installation Certificate and I would think he will come around to your demands as the customer, regarding the Minor works,I must admit he sounds a bit of a ---, but if the work is good then the only concern is certification and stopping payment isn't the right way forward IMO.

I appreciate your answer. To be honest I am not particularly bothered about certification as I am happy the work is safe. But one of the other flats is selling and could get caught out with wrong certificate. I assume by your answer you also think a EIC is required as opposed to a minor works.

I appreciate your answer. To be honest I am not particularly bothered about certification as I am happy the work is safe. But one of the other flats is selling and could get caught out with wrong certificate. I assume by your answer you also think a EIC is required as opposed to a minor works.
Yes I would agree you require a EIC especially as you intend to sell, you need to have a chat with him, if you get any issues about it then come back and we can advise the next step, but talking is the answer.

I have recieved a quick reply from him. He has quoted the regs and stated he should issue a minor works. As Murdoch says it does seem it is a bit of a grey area. He will be issuing 3 seperate certificates, 1 for each flat.

I am happy to accept this as I feel as he is approachable, registered with Elecsa and I think if anyone queries in future(eg during a sale) I will be able to show his e-mail reply as an answer.

Am I right in thinking that whilst its a grey area for EIC/minor works (some views will obviously differ), the work is definitely not notifiable?

Reply to Major or Minor Works? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock