Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Make it simple for Dummies. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. alexander jackson

alexander jackson Active EF Member

Gentlemen and Ladies (if present).
    Is there anywhere that can explain in simple English some of the tick boxes in the test schedule for a new installation. For the most part they make sense but some are (to me ) a bit difficult to follow.
    Perhaps someone has compiled a 'For Dummies' style booklet or even a page on this forum.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Mark.

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

List what you are stuck on and we will let you know what they mean.

• Like Like x 3
  3. alexander jackson

alexander jackson Active EF Member

Ah, I will bring a copy home with me and scan it with highlights.

4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

[​IMG] are these ,the write size.:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Your first port of call should be the regulations referenced next to the inspection item.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

Does anybody really look at them anyway?.....:confused:
    There’s an old saying “if it looks right, it is right”:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

to a trained eye .yes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ipf

ipf Trusted Advisor

All these ticks are making me itch :eek: mind you, it may be just waiting for the bomb to go off with all this ticking?:confused:

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. elsparko

elsparko Regular EF Member

and what about those of us who are non binary? did you just assume my gender? :O

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

I remember thinking the same thing a few years ago Alexander. Some of them were just way too confusing! So one day I sat down and went through the whole sheet checking what each of the regulations marked next to each of the tick boxes actually meant and then I wrote them in plain English on a spare copy of the test schedule sheet(s).

It took ages because when you read the regulation(s) they often refer you to other regulations etc etc. Also, you have to actually understand the regulation! I think I managed to understand most of them and the ones I didn't I posted up on the forum until I understood all of them.

So, basically I've just said the same as Lee but in a much longer way. Post up on the forum the ones you're stuck with :)

Ps.. I lost the sheet I made a long time ago.. sorry!

• Like Like x 2
  11. elsparko

elsparko Regular EF Member

most of them are pretty easy to understand in laymens terms, but the legalease the regs book is written in used to drive me up the wall at college, its as if they were just padding the regs out with words to make more pages..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    I'm not remotely a fan of these schedules. I think they are unnecessary and confusing.

For example:

1.3 Distributor's earthing arrangement

3.1 (a) Distributor's earthing arrangement or installation earth electrode arrangement

So which is relevant to the Distributor's earthing arrangement?

To my mind these boxes serve no purpose whatsoever. (And I don't just mean the ones mentioned - I mean all of them. A simple signature that the installation has been inspected against the Requirements of BS7671 should be adequate instead of pages upon pages of crap.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  13. Rosco

Rosco Electrician's Arms

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

They are check lists which are not necessary for competent persons, same as the one with the eicr.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Pass the above to the IET
    Suggest they return to planet earth where page upon page of utter garbage is now frowned on

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2