• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm Rich I'm 39 and currently unemployed. I am a good ish DIYer and have basic knowledge of wiring. Love building things out of wood.
I have been tasked with making a simple 4 bulb plug in lamp for my wife's 'art' project. I need wiring and safety help.
It will basically be 4 23w bulbs in batten lamp holders, in a row, attached to a board, wired in parallel with a 3A plug attached.
Was planning to use lamp holders like this. Loop-In Batten Lamp Holder - https://goo.gl/SVwkki.
My question(s) are..
1. I was confident these would not need to be earthed as they are plastic fittings. Is this correct?
2. Can I just wire each lamp holder to the next by twisting and connecting the wires? Will be wiring in parallel.
I'm sure I have got some wording wrong and I apologise. Please help.

Welcome to the forum mate.

1. These lamp holders will come with terminals to connect to. There will be an Earth terminal. Please use it.

2. Use the terminals to connect the wires from each lamp holder to the next.

Post pics of what you have done so we may be able to give more advice (if needed) once you have done it.

Those batten holders have no pattresses to separate conductors and terminals from a combustible material (wood). How will you provide cord restraint from the final connection.

So just to confirm is the below pic what you are intending to make?
Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie upload_2018-4-16_15-12-30 - EletriciansForums.net

and you are going to use these..
Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie upload_2018-4-16_15-13-45 - EletriciansForums.net

The batten holders you link to are not generally very suitable for surface wiring, the cable is intended to enter via the back of the unit.
Perhaps a two part base with a cable channel at the back.
You would use the terminals and include the earth. If wiring in flex ideally the flexible ends should be ferruled for strength.
Wiring would be from light to light to light, parallel wiring, though the whole cable would appear to be series.

It should be fairly straightforward, but mildly technically demanding to get right and safe, if the cables come in from the back then the batten holders would be fine, if the cables are surface on the front then you would need to make up a threaded lamp holder with a side entry coupler (with cord grip if the cables are not fixed in place) and a threaded back plate to mount it on the wood. If you are using brass then you may need an earth tag if there is no earth terminal.
Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie bnelam - EletriciansForums.net

I meant 13A plug. Using plastic lamp holders. I have attached a basic drawing showing wiring plan. Birdseye view. 4 lampholders mounted on/through wood. Is this correct? Many details missing. This is so I know the wiring is right. Thanks for everyones help.Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie 20180417_112126 - EletriciansForums.net

The wiring intent is right, live to live and neutral to neutral, light to light.
You will find that the wood needs to be thin to be able to hold the lamp holders in place with the fixing ring, the lamp holders only have space for one cable so I would suggest perhaps attempting to use flat two core cable, ensure the cable is gripped and enclose the back of the structure.
A 13A plug with a 3A fuse is correct.

Have purchased 4 BG batten lamp holders with back plates.
Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie ae235 - EletriciansForums.net
My wiring diagram for them... (couldn't fit 4 on picture!)

Will be 4 lights, in a row, on a board or batten, with a 13A plug 3A fuse.

Note that pendant wires are both white.

Can anyone confirm this is correct.

Thanks.

Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie 3aa07e8a-440f-4d86-9eb6-900f63621c77 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Making a 4 bulb lamp - Newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back