Discuss Making a ceiling light cable safe for plasterer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a homeowner looking to get an Artex'd ceiling boarded and skimmed by a plasterer. The ceiling has a standard ceiling light in the middle of it, which I'll need to remove and then reattach slightly lower after the plastering job.

What would you recommend to do to make the wiring safe while the plastering job takes place?

I'll switch off the circuit at the main while I'm doing the electrical work, so I'll be safe then, but ideally we'd be able to switch that main back on again so the other room lights work.

I understand it's possible to terminate the light wiring into something and have it be safe while the circuit is on, but I'm not sure what that product is. Is this what I'm after?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/electrical-lighting/terminal-strips-blocks/cat830486

Alternatively if you think this is too dangerous for a non-electrician, let me know!

Many thanks!
Rob

Let me be first!
Yes it is too dangerous for a non electrician. Depending on your wiring set up, there could be a permanent live up there.
If you give a more precise location, there may be a forum member near to you that could give a quick look

Let me be first!
Yes it is too dangerous for a non electrician. Depending on your wiring set up, there could be a permanent live up there.
If you give a more precise location, there may be a forum member near to you that could give a quick look
Thanks littlespark.

We actually only just got the whole property re-wired (but didn't have the project management capability to make sure every thing was done in the optimal order hence replastering now rather than at the same time as the re-wire!).

I can definitely get advice from the guy that did it on what the set-up is, e.g. on a permanent live. Was hoping wouldn't need to pay for more of his labour though! ;) Sounds like we might need to though...

I'll be quiet so no one else hears this... but if you turn the light off at the switch... better still, turn off at the consumer unit- pop up a stepladder and unscrew the ceiling rose (the white cover at the top) It'll slide down the flex.
Have a look, with your eyes... not a screwdriver or a finger or anything like that.
Inside the rose youll find 3 terminals. 3 screws, 3 screws and 2 screws. There is another on its own which is the earth.
Now look at the number of cables in there. If theres only 3, a brown, a blue and a bare one covered in green/yellow sleeving, then that makes things a lot easier.
If there's more than that, ie, if theres a bunch of browns connected to the middle connector, that's the permanent live and is the difficult bit.
Permanent live means it is still live even though the switch and the light is off.

A photograph of the terminations will help, but I understand the forum can be tricky to upload images to.

If you want to upload a pic of your existing wiring setup then try using the Copy/Paste functions and Paste it directly into the chat rather than the 'attach' function which may bring up an error.

Even if you've made the cables safe I would still isolate at the board when he's chucking his muck around as plasterers trowels tend to be sharp and will easily nick a cable.

If you are local to one of the members on here, theres a good chance somebody will pop around for £20 cash/beer money to make the cables safe for the plasterer and lower the pendant if needed its not a major or long job. its not a difficult job for somebody with a bit of experience. not that i advocate cash in hand of course :D:rolleyes:

Ermmm...Should you or the plasterer being messing around with an Artex ceiling??? Asbestos????

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

OP... If you've not had it tested you should do because it can carry heavy fines if it's got asbestos in it and you start drilling it etc.

Thanks all. Needs boarding not just skimming I think as there's significant damage to the existing boards. Artex samples have been to the lab and come back negative for asbestos.

I've attached a photo, if it loads, of the wiring. Seems to only be one brown and one blue? Or a section of each either side of a terminal block of some kind. The light is rigged up to two switches. What do you think?

20180430_212001.jpg

Thanks all. Needs boarding not just skimming I think as there's significant damage to the existing boards. Artex samples have been to the lab and come back negative for asbestos.

I've attached a photo, if it loads, of the wiring. Seems to only be one brown and one blue? Or a section of each either side of a terminal block of some kind. The light is rigged up to two switches. What do you think?

[Edit: can't see photo now I've posted. Will try copy paste when at my computer]

How many lights are in the room as it looks like the live is fed from the switch (or the socket by the fireplace)

That is a nasty looking ceiling BTW glad you getting rid.

that's a simple straightforward job.
glad to hear it! turn off at consumer unit, remove the light housing, tape up the cable ends temporarily, keep the unit off while plastering, then reattach afterwards?

How many lights are in the room as it looks like the live is fed from the switch (or the socket by the fireplace)

That is a nasty looking ceiling BTW glad you getting rid.
haha yes, that's just one of many nasty ceilings in this house!

There's only one light on that particular switch. But that switch is part of a three-gang, which also connects to two overhead lights in a different section of the room, and also the kitchen downlights on the other side of the door (sounds weird now I'm writing that down, but it works!).

Oh good. Simple.

Turn power off at consumer unit. Turn off the MAIN SWITCH is safest.
You'll need a bit of insulated choc block.
TLCON15.JPG

Undo the wires and remove the ceiling rose.
Just put the 3 conductors into separate terminals in the choc block.
Sorted

NOTE: The ceiling rose will be screwed into a wooden joist or noggin.
Make sure the plasterer notes where these are, or you'll not have a firm footing when you come to replace.

Reply to Making a ceiling light cable safe for plasterer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net