Discuss Making an electric shower smart in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 10.5KW electric shower in my home with a 50Amp 1 gang double pole switch fitted outside for it.

I wanted to convert this switch into a smart one so I can turn it off remotely when I forget to switch off the shower in morning.

However, I have been unable to find any wifi/zigbee switch that can do this.
The only switch I found was zwave and its 40amp only so not sure if that would suit either. Z-Wave Plus Aeotec Heavy Duty Switch - https://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-aeon-labs-heavy-duty-switch

I would be really greatful for any ideas about this.

Not being funny but I the isolator for the shower is used for maintenance purposes... I would not trust a 'smart' switch if I was an electrician messing with the shower.

You could put a smart switch that activates a contact, in line with the isolator.
Still not quite sure why you require this.

Ahh the old should i shouldn't i turn it off, most think it should be left on at all times and only switched for maintenance as already mentioned.

I kind of also toe the same line as 'what is the point', maybe a smart app' to improve your memory would be better than relying more on technology to do your thinking, I don't see the consequences of forgetting to turn it off unless we lack info' here.

Our confusion aside and as mentioned earlier the best way is a contactor with push button operation and a retaining coil, the App would act like the off button and drop the contactor out, I'll ad that your going to be throwing £100 + at it in parts alone then fitting cost for something I struggle to realise the need for.

it's a bloody isolator, not an on/off switch. you'd not isolate a socket final circuit to turn the TV off.

If you did still want to remotely isolate the shower, a contactor would be the way to go. This could be driven by low current smart switch of some kind.

But you don’t need to turn it off so any more £100 ideas that will help!

if i hit my hand with a hammer, it smarts, so try it on the shower. :D:D:D.

Is there a Smart Switch available so that I can power off the CSU when I leave the house, preferably on a motion sensor as if I forget it will do it automatically, I have OCD and resetting all the clocks in the house will keep me entertained for hours each day.......... on my return......

Reply to Making an electric shower smart in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net