Discuss Making your own trunking double set in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me with some info? Im having to make my own double set in 100 x 100mm trunking and haven't got a clue. Need to know how to do the measurements please. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Total waste of time fabing your own sets ,good for practice but takes too long and they look crap compaired to manufacturers products.Most electrical specs.only allow manufacturers componnents anyway

yours benji

There's nothing quite like trying it for real, as opposed to theory, but you don't have to use steel to practise the sets.
Use cardboard, put a right angle in it to create the base and a side and away you go!

Total waste of time fabing your own sets ,good for practice but takes too long and they look crap compaired to manufacturers products.Most electrical specs.only allow manufacturers componnents anyway

yours benji
Im in industrial alot and pre-manufactured pieces dont often fit i take about 20mins to fabricate any doubleset and with pop rivets and a drill attached wire wheel i can make any angle look more professional than most factory made pre-fab bends.
A fine tip metal marker, a protractor and tape measure and of course an hacksaw is all you need, the sign of good workmanship is when you offer the two halfs of the cut section together its a perfect fit with no light getting through.
Its give one a sense of pride to beat any slot and bolt pre-fab acheivement.
In your defense if you are running along a wall and jumping round many collumns then the pre-fabs win in this case for speed.

yours benji

disagree.. a well made is a master-piece. I make my apprentcies do them as often as possible;)

inside bend; cut out of one side a 22.5 degree V & leave back intact, folding one over the top of the other so you have an overlap on the sides ~ pop rivet or nut & bolt.
Outside bend; cut off at 22.5 degrees then on one piece fillet the corners so the sides & back enter the other piece, then you flatten the back fillet to lie against the back of the other side, pop rivet or nut & bolt ~ Simples.
Alternatively braize ~ used to be a requirement within chemical plants when using stainless.

Last edited:
inside bend; cut out of one side a 22.5 degree V & leave back intact, folding one over the top of the other so you have an overlap on the sides ~ pop rivet or nut & bolt.
Outside bend; cut off at 22.5 degrees then on one piece fillet the corners so the sides & back enter the other piece, then you flatten the back fillet to lie against the back of the other side, pop rivet or nut & bolt ~ Simples.
Alternatively braize ~ used to be a requirement within chemical plants when using stainless.

Are you a mind reader, is that the double set angle he needed, lol just joking, but i hear an overlap word:( now thats going into the rough in my opinion, good practice is to make the perfect cut with a fishplate bolted or riveted then wire wheeled down with your drill for the professional touch.:D:D:D

yours benji

Benji,

It it true that most electrical quality statments will only let you supply and install manufactures bends and sets. But as you will know sometimes you have to manufacture your own.

This may be because the set is too small to achieve with a manufacturers bend or that some one in the supply chain has let you down.

If your skill set is such that you can not achieve this or the end result looks so crap that you are embarised to install then you are in trouble.

I teach all of our apprentices to cut and manufacture bends and sets in tray, trunking and ladder rack.
If they are taught correctly and have confidence in their own ability they will succed where others fail and will be on the way to being an all round electrician.

Regards

Fatboybunter

yours benji

Can't agree with you on fabbing your own sets, getting round some things with the manufactured units can look just as crap actually putting sets and bends in trunking and tray is becoming a lost art like quite a few other things in the electrical industry

Can't agree with you on fabbing your own sets, getting round some things with the manufactured units can look just as crap actually putting sets and bends in trunking and tray is becoming a lost art like quite a few other things in the electrical industry

Couldn't agree more, mind you a few years back a mate couldn't help himself and had to show the whole site (20+ sparkies) a particularly rough bit of work where the poor:rolleyes: (by now very embarrassed) purpetrator had used a Tee section when told by the foreman to manufactor his own 90 degree bend. (You know who you are!!:D)

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Reply to Making your own trunking double set in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net