Discuss Makita BHP451 vs Dewalt DCD985 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Simeon Petkov

Hi guys !
I have just registered here. I have a question about these two drills.
I am getting them both second hand. The problem is, i don't know which one to choose.
The makita is more powerful(65mm wood), but i heard they have serious problems with the batteries and the gearbox.
On the other hand, the dewalt is weaker (50mm wood), it has higher max speed and it comes with a 4ah battery while the makita is with 3ah.
Some say the makita, some say the dewalt.
Which one is better for basic work. I mean, for everything. Overall. I know the dewalt is more reliable, but is it really much weaker ?
What do you say guys ?
You are more experienced than me.

No money. I would go with metabo's new beast, but again- money is the problem.
The dewalt and the makita are second hand for 100 dollars, and i cant find anything brushless in that price range.
Also, why the makita is rated at 65mm wood drilling capacity, and the dewalt at 50 ?
They are both 80nm. Is it because of the drilling speed ?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a 451 in the garage, the gear doesnt always engage properly.

leave it in the one gear and it will be fine.

i picked up the 458 (88nm) for £80 inc vat.

there isnt a problem on the makita batteries that have the star on the battery, they fixed the issue

I will maybe go with the dewalt. It has 4a.h battery, it is in much better condition and it is pretty much the same. And the most important- the batteries are not locking, can be recycled and their gearboxes are pretty much immortal. I haven't heard of a failed one.

I will maybe go with the dewalt. It has 4a.h battery, it is in much better condition and it is pretty much the same. And the most important- the batteries are not locking, can be recycled and their gearboxes are pretty much immortal. I haven't heard of a failed one.
a mate went through 2 dewalt combi's in less than a year.

my makita 451 went for two years and still works.

the batteries dont really lock, they only lock if the cells in them are faulty

you can open them up and replace the cell if it is out of warranty

Posh black and decker lol. In all serious dewalt do make some good gear but Makita is my personal choice also.

I just don't know.
Which one do you think is more practical ?
The makita with the two low and one high gear or the dewalt with lo-mid-hi speeds ?
And for the wood drilling capacity- is there a big difference ?

I just don't know.
Which one do you think is more practical ?
The makita with the two low and one high gear or the dewalt with lo-mid-hi speeds ?
And for the wood drilling capacity- is there a big difference ?
ill be honest i went from the makita 3speed to 2speed 458 and i dont use the first gear usually. (ill use impact driver instead)

as long as they both have more than 70nm torque they will both work.

choice the brand based on the other tools you will buy to fit those batteries (all my kit is makita so i wouldnt buy dewalt gear unless its corded)

Reply to Makita BHP451 vs Dewalt DCD985 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net