Discuss Makita DHP453RM 18V 4.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Cordless Combi Drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Loki

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting the Makita DHP453RM 18V 4.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Cordless Combi Drill from Screwfix & wanted your opinions on if it is any good?

It does have a lot of good reviews on the Screwfix website

Makita DHP453RM 18V 4.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Cordless Combi Drill | Cordless Combi Drills | NoLinkingToThis

Thanks

Michael

I think they're all pretty much of a muchness.
Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Panasonic and Milwaukee.
I've used all, and can't actually say which I preferred.
One that I was quite impressed with, was an 18V Bosch SDS.
It felt like it had no battery in it compared with my older NiCad battery drills.
It only had a very small battery though, about 1.8Ah.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting the Makita DHP453RM 18V 4.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Cordless Combi Drill from Screwfix & wanted your opinions on if it is any good?

It does have a lot of good reviews on the Screwfix website

Makita DHP453RM 18V 4.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Cordless Combi Drill | Cordless Combi Drills | NoLinkingToThis

Thanks

Michael
no the drill is crap

go for the 458 or 481

dont go for other models, they are the two best makita drill models and there not that expensive.

it is better to get two 3ah batteries than 1 4ah (the 458 and 481 have a charge indicator on them as well)

I like charge indicators, especially on LiOn batteries.
So annoying to pick up a spare battery, only to find that it's flat or nearly flat when you go to use it.
With LiOn batteries there is little or no warning that they are running out.
One second drilling merrily away, the next totally dead, and drill bit stuck in wall, ceiling, etc.
It would be nice to have a little more information regarding these batteries though.
Do they benefit from being completely discharged before re-charging as with NiCad batteries, for instance?

Yep bought mine in March & can't fault it what so ever brilliant drill ,mine only cost 165 brand new next day Delivered from an Ebay seller called Eca Webfast so well worth checking out

Also the 451 458 & the new 481 drills are "Heavy Duty" drills so are built for constant use

EDIT found the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAKITA-DH...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item541425e686

Last edited:
I've always found combi drills awkward and heavy to use, this was NiCad ones though not the new lithium ones.
I prefer to use a small drill/driver (no hammer function) for most of my drilling and screwing as it's light and doesn't fatigue you so much while using, and have a proper SDS drill for masonry. Which is in my opinion much better in masonry than a combi any way.

I like charge indicators, especially on LiOn batteries.
So annoying to pick up a spare battery, only to find that it's flat or nearly flat when you go to use it.
With LiOn batteries there is little or no warning that they are running out.
One second drilling merrily away, the next totally dead, and drill bit stuck in wall, ceiling, etc.
It would be nice to have a little more information regarding these batteries though.
Do they benefit from being completely discharged before re-charging as with NiCad batteries, for instance?
I was reading an instruction manual yesterday for my new impact driver,it advises against fully flattening li ion batteries and advises placing them on charge as soon as you notice a drop in power.Incidentally while we're on the subject I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that rechargeable equipment doesn't like extreme cold,so please remember to take your batteries out of the van on an evening that way you can either charge them up in the house or at least they'll be at a reasonable temp for charging when you get to work.

Yep bought mine in March & can't fault it what so ever brilliant drill ,mine only cost 165 brand new next day Delivered from an Ebay seller called Eca Webfast so well worth checking out

Also the 451 458 & the new 481 drills are "Heavy Duty" drills so are built for constant use

EDIT found the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAKITA-DH...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item541425e686
i got mine 79.99inc vat body only :) i got my fav wholesalers to pricematch a place online (they dont advertise they will price match)

they wanted 128 but i asked them how come toolstop can sell it for 79.99 then?

XD i was well happy

i got mine 79.99inc vat body only :) i got my fav wholesalers to pricematch a place online (they dont advertise they will price match)

they wanted 128 but i asked them how come toolstop can sell it for 79.99 then?

XD i was well happy

Nice !! mine came with the better case with the bits compartment on the side ,which was great as it saves me the hassle of going through my tool bag for Drill bits etc :D

Nice !! mine came with the better case with the bits compartment on the side ,which was great as it saves me the hassle of going through my tool bag for Drill bits etc :D
thats the old case.

i got one with my bhp451. the front has been smashed though :(

the box isnt as sturdy as the new case (not the mac pac there crap)

dewalt ones are a lot tougher (bosch are not as good)

dab814e01eb3eb93ddb960080f182b83.jpg

647aa9d6e9262553fc2a18ff9572d75a.jpg

you need at least 2 batteries though.

you will find that you get near the end of something then have to stop and wait for it to charge.

the 3amps take 22mins and the 4 amps take 30 i think.
i struggle to flatten a full one in under 20mins.

the only reason i havent bought any 4/5's is i have 5 3ah batteries which is way more than enough

3 in drill box, 1 in sds and 1 in radio

you need at least 2 batteries though.

you will find that you get near the end of something then have to stop and wait for it to charge.

the 3amps take 22mins and the 4 amps take 30 i think.
i struggle to flatten a full one in under 20mins.

the only reason i havent bought any 4/5's is i have 5 3ah batteries which is way more than enough

3 in drill box, 1 in sds and 1 in radio

Yes I agree, I will definately need at least 2 batteries. I am planning on getting another 5amp after Christmas.

Michael

Just registered it with Makita & now have 3yr warranty.

Ive also bought a 20w led work lamp (one of the yellow metal ones) which says it lasts for 5hrs on a full charge. I'll test that usage time as I know most last about 3hrs.

Michael

Just registered it with Makita & now have 3yr warranty.

Ive also bought a 20w led work lamp (one of the yellow metal ones) which says it lasts for 5hrs on a full charge. I'll test that usage time as I know most last about 3hrs.

Michael
ill have to have a look at them, i would alter it to use different batteries if possible though

Reply to Makita DHP453RM 18V 4.0Ah Li-Ion LXT Cordless Combi Drill in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net