Discuss Manual override and PIR on lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Manual override and PIR on lights 31C7ECC6-986B-4EA0-B413-37BBF4340A7F - EletriciansForums.net Manual override and PIR on lights CC65A797-2575-4BFE-942E-DDA49128B13D - EletriciansForums.net Hi what’s difference between 1 way and 2 Way Switch please on manual override of pir
1 Way, Switch up is PIR and Switch down is perm on
Can someone explain how would the 2 way would work and is the drawings correct the load cable for the lights is from PIR as easier than wiring from switch thanks

The second drawings doesn't look correct. The Switch Live for the first switch looks like its going to the supply. Switch 2 will act like switch 1 in the first pic.

Ignore above... Brain fart moment..

Last edited:
The first drawing is simply an override of the sensor. The live to the sensor is always there and will always work.

The second drawing has an isolator for the live so there is a way that the sensor will not work at all.

2 gang switch, not 2 way. That’s something different.

There's 3 ways to do it.

Switch on the permanent live. This means the light can be turned fully off. Turning on the switch supplies power to the sensor, which in turn turns on the light when it detects something.
Common when you are replacing an existing light with a sensor version.

Over ride switch. Power is always on to the sensor - meaning it will work when it detects something, and will never be able to be switched off.

Combination of both of these. So the light can be always OFF, always ON, or sensor controlled. This can be done by a 3 position switch, or a combination of 2 x 1 way switches as per your diagrams.

It is the specification of the customer or the job in hand, so there is no right or wrong way out of those 3 options.

Also, there are some sensors that operate an override if you flick the switch on-off-on within a second.

Thanks for your help I just wanted to know different ways of how to manual override a pir
So I’ve found 1 gang
There's 3 ways to do it.

Switch on the permanent live. This means the light can be turned fully off. Turning on the switch supplies power to the sensor, which in turn turns on the light when it detects something.

Over ride switch. Power is always on to the sensor - meaning it will work when it detects something, and will never be able to be switched off.

Combination of both of these. So the light can be always OFF, always ON, or sensor controlled. This can be done by a 3 position switch, or a combination of 2 x 1 way switches as per your diagrams.

It is the specification of the customer or the job in hand, so there is no right or wrong way out of those 3 options.

Also, there are some sensors that operate an override if you flick the switch on-off-on within a second.
Thanks that’s all I wanted, I will do some diagrams in a bit of these 3 methods so I can always have it and remember how it’s done
There's 3 ways to do it.

hi thanks for your help are these diagrams I’ve drawn out ok? I appreciate you explaining

Thanks for your help I just wanted to know different ways of how to manual override a pir
So I’ve found 1 gang
There's 3 ways to do it.

Thanks that’s all I wanted, I will do some diagrams in a bit of these 3 methods so I can always have it and remember how it’s done
There's 3 ways to do it.

hi thanks for your help are these diagrams I’ve drawn out ok? I appreciate you explaining

Reply to Manual override and PIR on lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock