Discuss March-April solar PV capacity figures and the July FIT cuts in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just spent the evening analising the Solar PV capacity figures for March and April to see what they would mean if DECC stick to their proposals for basing the level of FIT cuts scheduled for the end June / Start of July on these installation figures.

Bluntly, it's not looking good, with the impact of the pre 3rd March rush almost certainly pushing the figures above the 150MW boundary, and possibly into the 200MW+ range.

I've stuck up a more detailed analysis on my blog here http://www.leeds-solar.co.uk/blog/entry/july-fit-cuts-analysis-of-the-march-april-solar-pv-figures

I'm far too tired now to go into it, but we're really going to have to all start getting our MP's and the press to put pressure on DECC to either defer these cuts, or at least limit them to the lowest level of cuts, as if they implement there highest proposed level of cuts as soon as the end of June, I really don't see many of us surviving given how much of a kicking we've already taken in the last few months.I reckon we need a minimum of 6 months solid work before we'd be in any sort of a position to cope with another long period of virtually no work like this one, and the more they cut the rates, the more of a problem these periods will be because we're all having to seriously cut our margins in the periods when there is work around.

arrrgh

ah erm, it appears I picked up the wrong end of the stick slightly there, and they're basing the cuts on the post 3rd March figures.

Do you agree that the tariff table from 1 July should depend on the volume
of deployment in the first two months of the post-3 March tariff tables?
This option would be our preference if deployment (i.e. new capacity installed and with an eligibility date between 3
March and end- April 2012) exceeds 200 MW.

but in the bits I read last night this wasn't clear
This option would be our preference if deployment during March and April 2012 is between 150 and 200 MW.
This option would be our preference if deployment during March and April 2012 is less than 150 MW.

Presuming this is the case, then it looks pretty much certain that the capacity installed will be significantly below the 150MW mark, so if there are any cuts to come in July then they ought to 'only' be to the 16.8p rate, if DECC stick to their plans instead of listening to the consultation.

Valid point made ref: april rush. The market needs to be able to settle for a few months before realistic figures can be retrieved.

Lets all hit Greg barker on twitter

We should decide a time certain day and time to all tweet him with same message if we can get most of the forum user to do this we should get 40-50 tweets to hit him in one go !

Did you read this link in the comments. Solar & Wind Energy Subsidies Should Continue “Forever” - CleanTechnica
I know it's referencing USA but its the same here !! Why stop subsidizing something that benefits everyone, clean energy which isn't geopolitical ! The reason argentina wants the Falklands is because of oil, what if oil was worthless how would that change the world !!! But then again if it wasnt for oil someone (Qatar bunch) wouldn't have paid £74m for a painting today.

My local MP is Eric Pickles ... Send in the bull dog !! To be honest lost faith in government didn't even vote today in local elections first time in many years !! It's human nature, people act in their own interests ! Dave's mate Rupert knew it !

Lets do the mass tweet ! It will have to be week day as he doesn't tweet weekends ! The same thing with a link perhaps

Could even make the press !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
dont forget labour introduced the 43.3p its the tories who are cutting it all, i appreciate its got to be sustainable but they are killing it they should leave it all alone!

Let's say Tuesday ! Isnt Tuesday's PM questions, if anyone's got an mp on board they could refer to it in question time.

We need to use the power of the Internet a social media to bring positive attention to this. We need to make our message clear. The overal message I want is for the government to back FITs in a positive way ! Calm Jo publics concerns over certainity of the schem.

At the moment it seems they are trying to get out of the FITs and blame labour- to be honest probably the best thing they did !!

Wednesday is PMQ's - it would be worth letting local press know that you're doing it the day before - they may be interested to see if barking replies ...

Will liaise with MEP as it was his idea in the first place and get back to everyone tomorrow afternoon if that's ok with everyone??

Reply to March-April solar PV capacity figures and the July FIT cuts in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net