Discuss Material Pricing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What you need to determine is how many small items you use and don;t charge for, plus the drills you replace, plus the time taken to get the materials etc, etc.....

However I don't apply 25% to items costing over £100!!

out of curiosity, do any of you charge for sundries separately on your invoice? I personally don't, and when I price a job, I just price to include any I'm likely to use.

'Sundries' usually make an appearance on the invoice, even if not given an explicit price. If it's a fixed price job, previously quoted, then they might get a mention, but will be included in the quoted price. If it's a time and materials job I'll often throw in £5 for sundries, unless I've only use a couple of screws and plugs.

I'm thinking of fixings, cable ties, cable clips, sleeving, wagos or similar, labels, etc, etc.

out of curiosity, do any of you charge for sundries separately on your invoice? I personally don't, and when I price a job, I just price to include any I'm likely to use.

All the customer gets is a "line" per item, so no break down to parts at all

As above, except for small jobs, I usually include a few pounds for sundries, typically I list it as something like "Misc fixings, sleeving, crimp connectors etc" according to roughly what I've used.

sundries @ 2.5% :wink_smile: (not on minor works though, anything over good few hundred quid normally)

33% is a about a third and what id call 'retail' price for small works.
Maybe Im not the cheapest, but I provide a good service, I have most items I need onboard the van and Ive got a business to run ;-)
I ALWAYS list materials and labour seperately on ever invoice, never had a problem yet.... worked well for the last 20yrs and Im in no rush to change.

If I'm quoting a job I dont seperate materials and labour, I just price per item, ie double socket £50 etc.

If I've already done the job, not quoted in advance, and the materials make up a fair bit of the price then I will sometimes show the price for labour then the price for each item >£15 seperately then a price for sundry type stuff including cable.
eg:
Labour:
13/04/12-£100
18/04/12-£180
Materials:
Fan-£75
2 x LED spots-£88
Cable, conduit, backboxes, switches, fixings etc-£50

For the latter method I will add 20-30% for materials and charge labour at around £30 per hour. For the former I am just out to make as much profit as possible and won't nessescarily check the price of materials beforehand.

I normally do not even put any mark up on as I try and be as competitve as possible in todays market. Even then with what I believe to be a good labour competive rate added am still getting blown out the water day in day out and not getting jobs because someone else is cheaper.

Just put a thread on forum back to school pricing to get a flavour of what comes out as pricing has become very confussing of late. will be and interesting to what comes out the woodwork as most will be different. As a guy in say Leeds will he be able to command the same price in say within the M25 london rates not that I believe London rates to be good.

what is the going percentage that people recomend for putting on material prices when doing a job?

Depends on the cost of a Job, if your supplying a just a socket then 200%, if 10ks worth of lights then it could be as low as 10%, infact lower, 5% even if your desperate for the work, so the question to you= what type of work do you carry out and whats the average costs of materials?, you give, we give :ciappa:

I have put labour down at +£200 a day and got the work other times when things are quiet gone in at around £100 to £120 yes i know i am a sinner and will sell my sole to whoever... and been blown out the water. Have done a call out recently and got £65 for resetting and rcd and hanging around for half and hour to ensure it does not trip again then have quoted £35 on a sunday to do a full fuse holder and new fuse and told to go play with myself. So pick the bones out of that??

Pricing is confusing?
Don't talk squit man!
Pricing is easy and God knows there's enough posts on this forum about it.
What you need to work out is how much it costs you per hour/day/month/year to keep your business running. This will be different for everyone, even for two sparks living in the same town.
What are your overheads?
What do you need to earn to pay your bills?
Add these two figures together.
How many hours will you work per year REALISTICALLY?
Divide one by the other and you have your break even hourly rate. You CANNOT charge less than this or you will become bankrupt, end of story.
Now look at the job you're quoting. How long will it take? 2, 3, 4 days?
How many hours will you work per day? 6,8, more?
Tally up all the materials needed for said job.
Add the two together and add some profit, that's your quote, easy as pie.

When you quote work you are guestimating, you may get it right, you may get it wrong. The trick is to get more right than wrong.

YOU WILL NOT GET THEM ALL RIGHT!

Reply to Material Pricing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock